Thread: Do we want Tomko back?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Do we want Tomko back?

Tomko pulled a switch-a-roo on us all this year. Usually, Tomko starts the year off cold as hell and heats up in the second half. This year he did the opposite. He started off great then had a shitty June, July went well and now he is flat out horrible. In April and May, Tomko was hitting 97 mph and blowing it past guys. Now he can't even find the strike zone. Tomko has given 18 homers this year, one less than last year's total. My question is, do we want him back? Tomko in SF overall has a record, as of now, of 18-21 and is progressively getting worse statistically. His record should be better due to poor run support early this year but he will surpass last year's hits, homers, and earned runs totals. Schmidt's option will be picked up and Lowry is red hot and pulling a Tomko. So that is two definite pitchers in next year's rotation. I would like to see Cain in there next year but signs are pointing for him to stay another year in the minors next year. I would like to see Sabean go after Jarod Washburn or Matt Morris. Millwood wouldn't be bad in SBC park either. Hennessey could be a good fifth pitcher. Tomko is easily replaceable and Sabean should seriously look into it. He will have to have a helluva rest of the season for me to change my mind.

In other news, highly regarded prospect Merkin Valdez has a strained elbow and is having a MRI. This is not good as he was once thought of as a future ace, but injuries have really slowed him down.

MLB ERA
    I've never been impressed by Tomko since early in his career in Cincinnati. He's always had a ton of potential, but could never put it together. You'll see flashes of greatness, and then wonder why he isn't a batting practice pitcher. I'd really like to see Tomko live up to his potential, but it doesn't look like he ever will.

As for Free Agent pitchers! Washburn and Millwood would be good pitchers for the Giants to look at, they'll be costly, but they would probably be worth the price (if any free agent is). I'd stay away from Matt Morris! His stats look pretty good this year, but part of that may be the team that he's on. I think he's overrated, and will get a huge contract next year because he won 23 games once in his career.

MLB ERA
    and will get a huge contract next year because he won 23 games once in his career.
    I really think people should look at wins and losses for what they really are. W-L is THE most overated stat in all of professional sports.
    The fact that Chan Ho Park is 3-1 with the Padres with something along the lines of a 7+ ERA (not to mention something like 8-5 with Texas with a 5+ ERA) only proves my point.

edit: Please note that my retort is based on the Win-Loss record in regards to major league baseball pitchers
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    I really think people should look at wins and losses for what they really are. W-L is THE most overated stat in all of professional sports.
    I agree completely, but people are set in their ways! W-L have historically been one of the most important stats in regards to winning the Cy Young Award!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Morris will be the more costly one of the bunch but it's worth a gamble. Washburn and Millwood will not get what they want.