Thread: Schmidt may fit with champions

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Schmidt may fit with champions

Schmidt could fit if Sox can deal with it
    By Tony Massarotti/ Covering All Bases
    Sunday, July 24, 2005

With one week to go until the annual July 31 trading deadline, Jason Schmidt remains a member of the San Francisco Giants. And for as much attention as A.J. Burnett has received in recent weeks, Schmidt remains the most intriguing potential acquisition as the 2005 baseball season heads for its critical stages.

And that is true for the Red Sox as much as anyone.

According to baseball sources, the Giants have been among the most dedicated teams scouting the Red Sox' minor league system in recent days, which places Schmidt squarely on the radar approaching next Sunday's afternoon deadline. Publicly, at least, the Giants indicate they are not likely to deal the pitcher, who is 7-5 with a 4.74 ERA in what has heretofore been a disappointing season.

Since the All-Star break, however, Schmidt is 1-0 with a 2.12 ERA over two starts, during which he has struck out 17 in 13 innings. One scout said that the zip has returned to Schmidt's fastball, which was mysteriously devoid of life during the earlier parts of the season.

For the Red Sox, the question now becomes this: If Schmidt is indeed available -- and at this stage, that remains a very big if -- is he worth the gamble for a club that desperately needs a presence at the front end of its rotation in both the short and long term?

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...rticleid=95036

The Braves want Schmidt back.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Do they really? That would be impressive for the Braves if they could get another big arm in their rotation.

I trust Theo. If he feels that trading two or three of the best prospects in the system is worth getting Jason Schmidt, then I'll go with it. I'm too cautious to be a real GM, so I wouldn't want to trade a deal like Anibal Sanchez/Jon Lester/Kelly Shoppach thing for Schmidt, and I bet he'd cost that.

Of course, this is Massarotti speaking, so take it with a pillar of salt, just speculation.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

I'm sure the Braves DO want Schmidt back, but the Giants are asking for an arm and a leg, which they won't receive.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I trust Theo. If he feels that trading two or three of the best prospects in the system is worth getting Jason Schmidt, then I'll go with it. I'm too cautious to be a real GM, so I wouldn't want to trade a deal like Anibal Sanchez/Jon Lester/Kelly Shoppach thing for Schmidt, and I bet he'd cost that.

Of course, this is Massarotti speaking, so take it with a pillar of salt, just speculation.
    If the Red Sox did want Schmidt, don't you think they would be gunning for Jon Papelbon? Or has his stock fallen for some reason? I just know they will demand elite prospects for Jason Schmidt.

Papelbon is still a beast. But really, they are all up there. I think the Giants would want at least two of the three big pitching prospects, maybe to make up for that Pierzynski for Nathan/Liriano/Bonser trade. Sanchez, Lester, and Papelbon all ranked within 20 spots of one another (I thnik in that order) on Rotoworld's rankings.

I know Sanchez dominated the Fishercats on the last homestand, Lester had a one-hitter on a game I missed and Papelbon was sick too in an extra-inning game. One hit through 8 innings, a HR.

Papelbon was ranked in the 90's on the BA rankings and Lester/Sanchez are on the rise according to the article with Brandon Moss.

As I said, if Theo thinks the high price for Burnett or Schmidt is worth it, so be it. I'd prefer to keep Arroyo and Anibal Sanchez instead of Burnett, but...damn.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Giants have repeatedly told teams that Schmidt is not available. He is a big part of next year's plans. There is not gonna be a better pitcher on the market than Schmidt so it makes no sense to get rid of him. You can have Tomko and Rueter all you want.