Thread: Matt Cain extension countdown

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Matt Cain extension countdown

Per Schulman's twitter, "Cain reiterated Opening Day is "cutoff" for contact talks. Said Sabean feels the same way."

It's really sad it has taken this long. All offseason Sabean and Baer said the top priority of the offseason was to lock up the pitching. This was their excuse as to why we didn't go out and get good offensive players, settling on Melky Cabrera, Angel Pagan and Ryan Theriot. They locked up Lincecum but none of his free agent years then foolishly extended the 34 year old Vogelsong. This isn't exactly fulfilling their goal as it was explained to us fans. Giants have a week to get a deal done.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Matt Cain extension countdown

I'm sure they're working hard behind the scenes to give Barry Zito a 6 year $72 mil extention! No worries Giants fans!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You know Matt Cain and Cole Hamels have got their eyes on the Guggenheim billions.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants have agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension with right-hander Matt Cain.
    The deal is worth $112.5 million guaranteed and also carries a vesting option for 2018 that could push the total value to $141 million. Cain, 27, registered a dominant 2.88 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 179/63 K/BB ratio in 221 2/3 innings last season. He's one of the best right-handed starters in baseball, and is now being paid like it. The five-year extension also carries a full no-trade clause.
    Glad to see Cain will be sticking around. This probably means Lincecum will be a goner but we have two good shots to win another WS with Lincecum. Glad it's done and now the Giants can look forward knowing they have Cain and Bumgarner in the long run.

MLB ERA

Nice very nice, I still think there is a good chance of locking up Lincecum since Zito's contract will be off of the books.
    Last edited by GiantsFanatic; 04-02-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Rookie ERA
    That's a hefty pay day.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

hallelujah! and i agree with fanatic. the money coming off the books for zito will allow plenty of room in the budget to extend timmy. and i think the fact that cain will still be here makes staying in frisco more appealing to him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think they will lock up Bumgarner before Lincecum.

AAA ERA

I totally agree with Reefer. Bumgarner gets a new contract before the end of the year. I think ( and I know people will laugh) he will lead the team in wins this season. This kid is for real as we all know and this will be his year to shine.
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I have Bumgarner winning the CY this year. Outside of that terrible game against the Twins and one other game, he was our best pitcher.

MLB ERA

I had a dream last night that the Giants, Padres, Red Sox, and Yankees had a four way trade that I don't remember the full details of, but Matt Cain went to New York and Jacoby Ellsbury ended up in San Diego.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cain is having his worst season in the first year of his $112M extension. Yet I haven't seen any criticism of the ROI on Cain like that of Kemp, Greinke, Crawford, A-Gon.

Haters sure have double standards around here.

MLB ERA

I think you've criticized the Dodgers and those players more than anyone else here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'll criticize them for performing below their standards, but I'll never use that to argue that the team shouldn't spend on top end free agents or would-be free agents, because not doing anything drastic to try to improve the major league roster when there is no top prospect coming up through the ranks is exactly what you haters want to see happen.