Thread: Giants top prospects for 2012

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants top prospects for 2012

San Francisco Giants Top 20 Prospects for 2012 - Minor League Ball

1) Gary Brown, OF, Grade B+: Future center fielder. Outstanding speed, doubles power with occasional home runs, not a big walk guy but makes contact and should continue to hit for a high average. Combined with strong defense, you have an impressive package of tools and skills.

2) Joe Panik, SS-2B, Grade B: I was very impressed with him in the Arizona Fall League. Line drive bat with gap power, good plate discipline, uses speed well on the bases, plays with fire. I think he can be an average defensive shortstop or above-average at second base. Nice tablesetter when combined with Brown at the top of the future Giants order.

3) Tommy Joseph, C, Grade B-: Borderline B: I like the way he improved his defense, also has standout power, hit 22 homers in High-A at age 19/20. Strike zone judgment remains poor and precludes higher grade, but he projects as a regular catcher if he can improve his approach.

4) Andrew Susac, C, Grade B-: Hasn't played yet, but based on what we saw in college, should be a steady defensive catcher with an above-average arm, producing power. We'll have to see if his pure hitting skills hold up.

5) Heath Hembree, RHP, Grade B-: Love the fastball, but slider, changeup ,and command are all works in progress. Potential to be a closer.

6) Francisco Peguero, OF, Grade B-: Never draws a walk, makes his living with speed, contact, gap power, and extreme BABIP. Might show more power in time. Good glove. Problem is that he has to hit .300 to be productive with his current approach, and if he's just hitting .280 he will hurt you more than he helps.

7) Eric Surkamp, LHP, Grade B-: Doesn't throw hard but has the statistical components of a power pitcher, excellent K/IPs and few hits, in the minors anyway. Was more tentative in the majors once the scouting reports got around and was hit hard. I think he can adjust and become a solid number four starter.

8) Kyle Crick, RHP, Grade C+: Borderline B-: High-ceiling arm, potential for four major league pitches with a workhorse body, still refining command. Could be the top prospect in the system in two years but isn't there yet.

9) Josh Osich, LHP, Grade C+: Borderline B-: Power southpaw, needs to prove his arm is healthy before ranking higher. Does he start or relieve?

10) Hector Sanchez, C, Grade C+: Held his own after unexpected major league promotion at age 21. Very good defense, switch-hitter with a chance to surprise people with the bat once he settles in. At worst he'll have a long career as a backup.

11) Clayton Blackburn, RHP, Grade C+: Major sleeper prospect from 2011 draft, showed excellent command in Arizona Rookie League (30/3 K/BB in 33 innings, just 16 hits), above-average velocity. Overshadowed in Oklahoma high school ranks by Archie Bradley and Dylan Bundy, but he's got a lot of talent himself.

12) Ehire Adrianza, SS, Grade C+: Strong defensive shortstop from Venezuela. Hit .300 in the California League but scouts continue to question his hitting. At age 22 he has time to improve. Utility guy at worst.

13) Mike Kickham, LHP, Grade C+: Easy to overlook due to 4.11 ERA in Low-A, but his FIP was much better and he has good stuff for a lefty, low 90s with good slider and workable changeup. Small adjustments and better luck could take him a long way in 2012.

14) Seth Rosin, RHP, Grade C+: University of Minnesota product looked great in the Arizona Fall League following decent campaign as Low-A swingman. Big breakout is possible in 2012.

15) Jarrett Parker, OF, Grade C+: Good athlete, shows power, speed, draws walks, fine glove. Main problem is strikeouts: he struggles with contact and batting average/OBP will suffer at higher levels without adjustments in his approach. Fourth outfielder profile right now.

16) Ricky Oropesa, 1B, Grade C+: Southern Cal first baseman saw power drop with switch to less-potent metal bats in college, but he has summer ball track record of good hitting with wood. Should hit for power but we'll have to see about batting average/OBP.

17) Joan "Not a Typo" Gregorio, RHP, Grade C: Ultra-projectable, posted 2.32 ERA in rookie ball although peripherals were less impressive. Potential to rank much higher next year once he gets more innings in. Tall and lean at 6-7, 180.

18) Jesus Galindo ,OF, Grade C: Switch-hitter stole 47 bases in Northwest League. Lacks power, needs to improve on-base skills to stick as a leadoff hitter.

19) Chris Marlowe, RHP, Grade C: Oklahoma State right-hander has above-average fastball, nasty curve, and incredible K/IP ratios in college. Could move quickly in relief if his command is sufficient.

20) Conor Gillaspie, 3B, Grade C: Forgotten man, but I think he can still surprise us. Gradually showing more power, makes contact, draws some walks, and has improved his defense. Doesn't have the power ceiling of Chris Dominguez (also a Grade C prospect) but is a steadier hitter with a higher floor.
    And here's Baseball America's:
    BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: Rankings: Organization Top 10 Prospects: 2012 San Francisco Giants Top 10 Prospects

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants top prospects for 2012

I prefer John Sickels list to that of Baseball America. When looking at his list, a couple things jump out at me. One is you have to wait til #7 to see a starting pitcher and we've already seen this pitcher lit up at the MLB level. The other is seeing all that catching talent in the top 10. I wish that catching talent could have been closer to the MLB level last year but sadly it wasn't. Of the top ten, I cannot wait to see Gary Brown. I am really hoping for a Shane Victorino type of player. A good defensive CFer with occasional pop and a lot of speed. Heath Hembree is another intriguing guy but has a long way to go with a BB/9 over 4. Not good for a potential closer. Our system might not be as strong as in years past but I like seeing a lot of position players at the top for a change.