Tim Lincecum is currently not interested in a long-term contract extension that would buy out future free-agent years.
"I just don't know how I'm going to feel five years from now, or three years," Lincecum said. "That's why I'd kind of like to take things step by step and why I liked the deal I got last year." The deal he's referring to is the two-year, $23 million extension he signed that covered the first two of his four arbitration seasons. The righty said he would "definitely" be interested in doing another two-year extension to buy out his final two years of arbitration, but it sounds like he's leaning towards testing the free agent market. He did add, though, that he'd keep an open mind when approaching negotiations over the winter, so nothing is totally off the table yet.
The Giants now have a two year window to try to win another championship This is very disheartening but I can't blame him one bit. The Giants front offense continues to do nothing about the offense and if I were him I would be sick of it too, even if they did win a World Series. I guess the Giants will just have to settle for draft picks when he leaves and hope Cain signs an extension after next year.