Thread: Wishful thinking of Zito's release

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Wishful thinking of Zito's release

Barry Zito tries to stay in Giants' good graces

It's quite pathetic when people who cover the Giants aren't aware of the situation the Giants are in. The Giants have no one, NO ONE, to replace Zito. We have no one in the minors even close to being a MLB regular and Jeff Suppan isn't the answer. Suppan is good depth but not a good every 5th day guy. So where are the Giants going to find a starter who gives them 190+ IP every year and makes every start? The past two seasons Zito has averaged a 4.09 ERA and 196 IP. How exactly are the Giants going to replace that? Zito is vastly overpaid and the Giants fans as well as the organization are past that fact. It was one of the worst contracts in history, we've moved on from that. Zito helps protect the bullpen and if he had any goddamn run support, he would have a lot more wins! Zito's not going anywhere because it would be stupid to eat all that money, no one will trade for him and most importantly, we have no one that comes close to doing what he does.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Wishful thinking of Zito's release

I'd be sad if Mission released me.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I offered him a couple bats and a bag of balls, but he didn't budge on trading you?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Giants have no one, NO ONE, to replace Zito. We have no one in the minors even close to being a MLB regular and Jeff Suppan isn't the answer. Suppan is good depth but not a good every 5th day guy. So where are the Giants going to find a starter who gives them 190+ IP every year and makes every start?
    Ahem..you did compile a list of the best of the scrap heap and suggested that those players could help a team.

Unless you are admitting that even you don't want such crap on your team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Ahem..you did compile a list of the best of the scrap heap and suggested that those players could help a team.

Unless you are admitting that even you don't want such crap on your team.
    Why buy out and eat all that money just to sign someone who is worse than Zito?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bruce Jenkins wrote a terrible article but it seems to have lit a fire under Zito's ass. He has posted back to back good outing and was the first Giants pitcher to go five innings this spring.

MLB ERA

If they released Zito they could sign anyone and still have one of the better rotations in the National League with Lincecum, Cain, Baumgardner, and Sanchez in front it wouldnt matter who that #5 is and still be at least top 5 in the league. But I agree it be a stupid waste when Zito's at least been a low 4 era guy which is good for bottom half of any rotation.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes