Thread: 2011 Spring Training, Giants style

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants 2011 Spring Training, Giants style

The defending champs enter a new season and pitchers and catchers have reported with a few regulars arriving early. Burrell, Ross, Sandoval and Freddy Sanchez all arrived early, determined to get a head start on defending their title. Bochy has already named Lincecum the Opening Day starter (no shit) and Lincecum looks to be in a lot better shape. His conditioning was put in question last year and he looks great early on. Posey said he was already throwing bullets. Speaking of Posey, he went deep in his first spring swing. Romo and Wilson still have their beards so it looks like business as usual in Giants camp. Here's what I am going to be focusing on throughout Spring Training:

- Pablo Sandoval's plate discipline. We all know he lost the weight but that was only a small part of the problem. I want to see a much better approach and him having better pitch recognition and being aware of the count. He swung at a lot of pitches with men on base that no one could drive and that's what resulted in him leading the league in GIDP.

- The rotation.
    Lincecum looks like he's ready to go right now according to Posey so that is a great sign. The rest of the rotation is up in the air. Bumgarner pitched around 80 innings more than he ever has before, Sanchez's velocity was down at the end of last year and Zito was left off the playoff roster. I am anxious to see how Zito will react this year. Last year he pitched behind Lincecum to start the season, this year he will likely pitch 5th.

- Brandon Belt.
    Belt is our top prospect and could make the team out of ST but it is highly doubtful. I just can't to see what this kid can do with the big boys. ST is not the best way to evaluate talent but you can get a good idea of what a player can do. I want to see Belt facing MLB pitchers, not invitees.

-Mark DeRosa's wrist. How will it hold up? Can he turn on the high heat? How will affect his fielding? Lots of questions around him. DeRosa would be the super utility guy for this team which would be great but wouldn't make or break this team. It would be nice to see him have a good start and possibly move him later in the year if necessary.

Just a few things I will be keeping an eye on. The Giants title defense has started. No more champions, its a brand new year. I am just hoping for a lot less torture but I doubt I will get my wish.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2011 Spring Training, Giants style

Pablo Sandoval officially lost 38 pounds over the offseason while reducing his body fat percentage from 30 to 19. Wonderful news that will help his defense but I still want to see some plate discipline.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Fred Lewis gets a WS ring having not played one single out for the Giants in 2010. He was said to be jumping for joy when he found out. How can you take pride in something you didn't help earn?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Zito walked five in just 1.2 innings for his spring debut. Suppan pitched three scoreless and DeRosa has really impressed so far this spring. His wrist looks healthy and he has been playing second base. Belt went 3-5 with two doubles and driving in four. He has also impressed. Ishikawa played LF today which shocked me a little but good he is getting time out there.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Fred Lewis gets a WS ring having not played one single out for the Giants in 2010. He was said to be jumping for joy when he found out. How can you take pride in something you didn't help earn?
    Really?! Might as well give Bonds a ring.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 03-01-2011 at 05:22 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lincecum threw 3 hitless innings today against all but two Cubs regular starters and Sandoval had a pair of doubles against Dempster and Wellemyer.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ryan Vogelsong has only given up one run in 8.2 IP giving Suppan some pressure for the last reliever spot. Sanchez has looked sharp so far with a 2.08 ERA in only three games. Posey has been crushing it and Matt Cain's elbow seems to be just fine. Whiteside and Torres seem ready to start playing in games here soon. All good signs!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cain pitched three scoreless today putting to rest the concerns about his elbow. Suppan got destroyed so Vogelsong most likely has the leg up over the last spot in the pen. Huff had a fine day going 3-3 with a 2 run shot to continue his good spring. Reports so far have Sandoval looking great at third and very mobile. Lots of good reports coming from the Giants this spring.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lincecum faced the Opening Day lineup of the ChiSox and went 5.1 while striking out seven and walking three. He gave up just one run. Meanwhile the ChiSox were facing mostly minor leaguers and Belt went 3-4 and was a triple shy of the cycle. Nate went 3-5 with a RBI and is hitting .342. I really hope Rowand is traded before the Giants give up on Nate. Nate is more valuable than Rowand.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Huff hit his 5th HR of the spring today and drove in three runs. Huff is off to a great start proving us naysayers wrong.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Wilson was shut down today from a bullpen session testing out his strained oblique. Its not looking good for him and he is sure to miss the start of the season. Cody Ross left today's game with a strained calf muscle. Not the best of news but not the end of the world either.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ross will start the year on the DL. Hopefully the smart Bochy that took over last September will play Nate over Rowand.

I say smart Bochy will prevail because he has said Tejada will bat 8th. He said at the beginning of ST that Ross would. This decision came before the Ross injury.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed Tuesday that Brian Wilson (oblique) will begin the season on the disabled list.
    Pretty much what we were expecting. The good news is that the Giants can backdate the DL-stint so that he will be eligible to return for the second game of the series against the Padres next week. Sergio Romo will likely handle save chances during his brief absence, though Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez could also be in the mix.
    I just hope Wilson doesn't try and overdo it. He really hasn't pitched a lot this spring so he definitely has to put some work in at some point.

MLB ERA

Saw parts of the Oakland games, Giants offense looked decent, looking forward to the new season!