Thread: Renteria will not retire

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

Giants Renteria will not retire

More news breaking in Spanish today, as ESPNdeportes.com reported that World Series MVP Edgar Renteria has decided to return for at least one more season. Renteria had contemplated going out on top after the Giants' victory.

"I'm staying. I feel that I still have a lot of baseball in my body," Renteria said by phone from his home in Miami. "[On] Monday I have a very important meeting with my agents to talk about my future, but I have already decided I will keep playing. That's all I can say until I meet with them."

The Giants did not pick up a $9.5 million option for next year, and Renteria will be free to negotiate with any other team starting at midnight Saturday night.

The 34-year-old shortstop batted .412 and drove in six runs in the World Series, including a three-run homer off Rangers ace Cliff Lee that accounted for all the Giants' runs in their clinching Game 5 victory. In the regular season, he batted .276/.332/.374, though he appeared in just 72 games and went on the disabled list three times.

-- David Andriesen

Renteria showed in the playoffs and World Series that he can still give a team a quality SS defensively and also can add a bat that can add a bit of pop now and then.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Renteria will not retire

With the weak market at SS and the possibility that the Giants might be outbid for Uribe, bring Renteria back in some capacity is an option. I think he should retire personally. What a bookend career he would have. GW hit in the WS as a rookie, GW HR in his last year.

MLB ERA

And I believe(don't know if he had another AB after that HR) he would have a GW Homerun in his final AB of his career. If he were to retire today.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

He is only 34 years old and what I think surprised many teams is his play defensively. He showed he could still go get it and make quality plays.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He showed he can still play defense after getting a lot of rest though. He's not an everyday player as his body could not take it this year. Maybe he could find a job much like Vizquel did.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Renteria is now making himself more versatile saying that he would welcome a move to second base. He feels confident he could make the move if needed but does not feel the same way about moving to third. Renteria in the backup role might not be a bad idea but don't see the Giants doing it. Rather give that money to Fontenot who can play SS, 2b and 3b.