Thread: Why did Lincecum change..

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Question Why did Lincecum change..

..his delivery X amount of starts ago as everyone is claiming? He's been using the same thing since ever, what has caused him to suddenly change?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Why did Lincecum change..

He wasn't happy with his velocity so he tinkered and tinkered but now is getting back to normal. He was hitting 94 mph consistently tonight. It was dumb for him to worry about his velocity because he was leading the league in strikeouts at the time.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Which fastball is in question - his two-seamer or four-seamer? Because I remember reading a random comment from fangraphs.com suggesting that his decreased average fastball velocity shouldn't be viewed as a physical or mechanical issue, but rather a result of mixing in more two-seamers. But his wikipedia page says he rarely uses his four-seamer, anyway.
    His repertoire includes a two-seam fastball that reaches into the mid-nineties, a changeup he grips like a splitter, a curveball notable for its sharp breaking action, and a slider. He also has a four-seam fastball, but rarely uses it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm sure it was his two-seamer. This was all Tim's doing and I guess after throwing 95mph+ since college you get accustomed to it. Same thing happened with Matt Cain after his first year. His velocity dropped but he has become a better pitcher for it. He stopped trying to throw as hard as he could every pitch. I think Lincecum realized that he needs to stick what has worked and got him two Cy Young awards. Timmy needs to get freaky again.