Thread: Giants Offseason Thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Offseason Thread

It's that time of year again when Giants fans have hope that the brass will finally sign a legit power hitter only to have those dreams smashed Here's a few rumblings that have already started to circulate:

The Giants are expected to make a run at Jason Bay this winter.

The Red Sox and Mets, among others, are also expected to bid for Bay's services, but general manger Brian Sabean said he sees a "later-developing market" for free agents this winter. "We don't have a relative sense of urgency like last year, which will play in our favor," said Sabean. With one of the league's worst offenses, perhaps they should.

FOXSports.com reports that the Orioles and Giants have shown the most interest in Dan Uggla.

The Red Sox have even considered Uggla as a potential alternative to Jason Bay in left field, although he hasn't played in the outfield since the 2004 season in Double-A. Uggla, 30, figures to play third base should he be acquired by the Orioles or Giants, according to the report, but they would be taking quite a leap of faith considering his defense. He should make roughly $8 million in arbitration this winter.

Giants hired Hensley Meulens as hitting coach.

The Giants cut ties with Carney Lansford a few weeks ago after posting the second-fewest homers (112) and drawing the fewest walks in the majors (392) during the '09 season. Meulens, a 42-year-old former MLB utilityman, had been serving as a hitting instructor on the Triple-A level.

According to FOXSports.com, the Giants would like to bring back Juan Uribe.

Uribe, 30, came out of nowhere to bat .289/.329/.495 with 16 home runs and 55 RBI in 398 at-bats with the Giants in 2009. His representatives talked with general manager Brian Sabean at the GM meetings in Chicago on Wednesday, but he will most likely seek a multi-year contract on the open market.
    Bay would be great protecting Sandoval but I really don't see him leaving Boston.

Not too happy with the hiring of Muelens. Our young guys are very impatient at the plate and he did coach them in AAA. Where's the improvement??

Uggla had another 30+ HR season which will be welcomed but not sure where he would play. Possibly third with Panda moving to first or catcher?

In other news, Giants told Randy Winn he will not be coming back and it looks like Molina will be another one not coming back. He will be offered arbitration because he is a Type A FA but that's about it. Giants will gladly take the draft picks. One thought is having Pudge Rodriguez come and mentor Posey. I like that!

As the free agent list becomes clearer, I will post my big wants and needs. One thing I do know, the Giants need to retain Penny.

MLB ERA

Re: Giants Offseason Thread

I want the Giants to go after Holiday, I mean take a strong approach at getting Holiday, I mean if they could've spent the money on Sabathia last season if he had signed, I'm sure they can spend the money on Holiday!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'd rather have Bay if we are choosing between the two.

MLB ERA

I wouldn't, not in that outfield.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    I want the Giants to go after Holiday, I mean take a strong approach at getting Holiday, I mean if they could've spent the money on Sabathia last season if he had signed, I'm sure they can spend the money on Holiday!
    I'm not saying they don't have that kind of money this year, but last season Tim Lincecum cost just $650,000 so he didn't cut into your free agent plans.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I wouldn't, not in that outfield.
    Bay is no worse than Holliday in the field and LF is the easiest place to play in that outfield. Bay is younger and has had much better production the past couple of seasons.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    I'm not saying they don't have that kind of money this year, but last season Tim Lincecum cost just $650,000 so he didn't cut into your free agent plans.
    He still won't cut into the free agent plans with Molina, Winn, Johnson, Howry and Lowry coming off the books. Giants have money to get the slugger they have been starved for since before Bonds left.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I'd rather have Bay if we are choosing between the two.
    You're just saying that so the Cards can keep Holliday to protect Pujols.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

HAHA No, I'm saying so the Giants get the better of the two.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Part 1 of my offseason wants will be tomorrow just for a FYI.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sabean: Bay and Holliday unlikely

Tim Lincecum's live press conference just ended. Afterward, we talked to GM Brian Sabean, who said he has not contacted agents for the two big hitters on the free-agent market, Matt Holliday or Jason Bay, and does not expect to either.

I'll have the direct quotes later, but Sabean essentially said he refuses to be a "stalking horse" for any player who is just using the Giants to get more money elsewhere, and that the Giants will talk only to free agents who have a genuine interest in coming to San Francisco.

He said he doubts Bay and Holliday will have genuine interest because the Yankees, Red Sox and other bigger-market teams will be chasing them.

At the same time, Sabean said, he believes there is a good crop of "second-tier" free agents to look at.

Read more: SFGate: San Francisco Giants : The Splash : Sabean: Bay and Holliday unlikely

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Makes you kind of pissed and happy all at the same time. At least Sabean is being straight up blunt here. Yet, you have to hate the knowledge of team's still being on a budget and the God's of salary are not capped.

But Sabean is making a perfect point and I gotta respect it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sabean is one of the sneakier GM's in the game. Who saw us getting Barry Zito? I wish we wouldn't have now but he still snagged that top tier free agent. I keep hearing Johnny Damon's name thrown out there but I say **** that shit! He is the product of playing in a extreme hitter's park. Don't be fooled by the power numbers last season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Today I am going to start my offseason segemtns on what I think the Giants should be looking at and I am going to start with first baseman. Last season, the Giants hit .271/.328/.405 with 17 HRs and 80 RBI from the first base position. A vast improvement from '08 but still not that great. Ishikawa was supposed to be our answer last year but he only hit .261/.329/.387 with 9 Hrs and 39 RBI. Giants were forced to trade for Ryan Garko mid-season to help out at first. Ishikawa did play GG type defense but his bat was lacking. Giants need an upgrade and Ishikawa would make for some good trade bait given his age, defense and potential power somewhere other than AT&T Park. So here is a list of players I would like the Giants to pursue.

Nick Johnson- Johnson hit .291/.426/.405 last season with 8 HRs and 62 RBI while playing in 133 games. He is my first choice because of his ability to get on base and would be the ideal #3 hitter for the Giants. The Giants ranked dead last in all of baseball in OBP with a .309 average. That's beyond pathetic!! Johnson has lost his power after having wrist injuries but he can still drive in runs plus he's possesses a good glove too. We all know he is an injury risk but having him and Garko (if the Giants keep him) split time will go a long way for keeping Johnson fresh. I would love to have that lefty/righty combo. Plus I am hoping Johnson could have the same affect Bobby Abreu had on the Angels last year with the entire team taking a page from his playbook and being more patient. The Giants need patience more than anything. Johnson on a two year deal would be a great fit in San Fran.

Adam LaRoche- LaRoche hit .277/.355/.488 with 25 HRs and 83 RBI in '08 with three different teams. He finished strong with Atlanta hitting .325/.401/.557 with 12 HRs and 40 RBI in just 57 games so that is very encouraging leading into the '10 season. LaRoche would provide a legitimate power threat in the lineup for the first time in a long time. With LaRoche comes a lot of strikeouts but the Giants will take the good with the bad. He also plays good defense which our infield would love. Sanchez and LaRoche covering the right side would be welcomed with open arms. Liek Johnson, LaRoche bats from the right side so the Giants would still have that option to play Garko against lefties. Having Sandoval and LaRoche hitting 3-4 in the lineup would be a vast improvement. At the age of 30, LaRoche should be given a three year deal.

Carlos Delgado- Delgado is coming off hip surgery which allowed him to play in just 26 games last season so he comes at a huge risk. Add the fact that he is 37 and its an even bigger risk but on the Giants shouldn't ignore. Delgado hit 38 HRs and drove in 115 runs in '08 so all hope is not lost. Chase Utley, Arod and Mike Lowell all bounced back from hip surgery without a hitch so I do think Delgado can do it as well. He wouldn't have to be an everyday player because like Johnson and LaRoche, he's a lefty so Garko can help keep Delgado healthy. Delgado did do well in the 26 games he got to play last season so he is worth giving a one year deal with an incentive laden option for '11. I find him to be a great plan C.

Casey Kotchman- I am just throwing Kotchman's name in the ring because he is expected to be non-tendered by the Red Sox and would become extremely cheap for the Giants. He has been traded twice in the past two years which I feel hurts his numbers a little but think he can be a productive hitter. He's a career .269/.337/.406 hitter with 12 HRs at the age of 26 so he has plenty of room for improvement. If all else fails, Kotchman could be a good last resort for the Giants. He too is a lefty.

There you have it, my first list of the season and I think it's a pretty feasible list. All I ask is that the Giants get someone who knows how to get on base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sabean fails at trying to rip off others.

The SF Giants are talking to the Padres about 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff, but SD wants more than OF Fred Lewis and IF Kevin Frandsen
    http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/6472446572