Thread: Giants Interested In Uggla?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Interested In Uggla?

The San Francisco Giants have made it known they're in search of a bat, and Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla is among the players piquing their interest. According to an industry source, the Giants have made preliminary inquiries about Uggla. The conversations are not believed to have reached the general manager level. The Giants likely are investigating any number of options from Nationals' first baseman Nick Johnson to Indians infielder Mark De Rosa. One thing that makes Uggla attractive is he's not eligible for free agency until after the 2011 season. The expectation is the Marlins will move Uggla at some point. He's already earning $5.35 million. Team President David Samson has said payroll won't significantly increase until the 2012, when the team is in the new building.
    Full article:Marlins notebook: Giants may be interested in trade for Dan Uggla -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

No chance in hell Matt Cain is going to be offered for Dan Uggla. Cain has been our best pitcher so far this season so his trade value has never been higher. Uggla is hitting a lousy .200/.321/.413 with 8 HRs and 30 RBI. He is not the upgrade the Giants seek. Uggla is also no a strong defender which hurts his value. Sure his power would be welcomed but so would a lot of players more well rounded than him. I can't even see trading Sanchez for him who I am almost fed up with.

I would be willing to give up something for Nick Johnson possibly. Depends on what that something would be. Ishikawa has not been hitting and Guzman is better off being a DH somewhere. A reliever from AAA might be all I would give up while taking on the rest of Johnson's salary.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Interested In Uggla?

The Giants continue to step up their efforts to dangle Jonathan Sanchez and/or pitching prospects for a middle-of-the-order bat. They were shot down by Florida on Dan Uggla and Jorge Cantu. And we also heard a rumor they were scouting Carlos Lee, a guy they hotly pursued as a free agent three winters ago. But Lee has a full no-trade through 2010. And one club that inquired about him over the winter says it was told Lee has already informed the Astros he's "not going anywhere" as long as his no-trade is in place.
    Looks like no Uggla, Cantu or Lee. Lee took less money to play in Houston so its no wonder he wouldn't waive his no-trade to come here. Giants need to be looking at better players than Cantu and Uggla anyway.