Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Spring Training News

AAA ERA

Re: 2009 Spring Training News

Does it surprise you about Burriss? I think Frandsen will be lucky to be with the club as a reserve. Too bad because I think he has talent and just got hurt at the wrong time in his career.
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It surprises me he is being considered over Frandsen, yes. Frandsen is the superior defender and better hitter. Burriss just has enough slap hits to make his average look better this spring. Lets not forget Burriss has only played second base less than a year. I just hope Bochy won't be fooled but this is Bochy we're talking about. Burriss might start Opening Day but in no way is he the permanent fixture at second. Frandsen definitely will be on the bench.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bowker and Matos were optioned to AAA, Posey was sent to minor league camp.

MLB ERA

Burriss wins the 2b job over Frandsen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jonathan Sanchez burned his index finger while cooking. He missed a start today but should be fine for his first start.

Merkin Valdez turned in his sixth straight scoreless outing.

Rowand is hitting .190 this spring.

Ishikawa has seven homeruns this spring.

Holm went 2-4 with a RBI to raise his average to .286 but he will start the season in AAA.

Bumgarner went three scoreless against the Dodgers and even struck out Manny. Manny had nice things to say about him but can't find the quote now

EDIT: Found it!
    "He's nasty," Ramirez said. Told that Bumgarner's only 19, Ramirez replied, "Unbelievable. He has a fastball and a curveball. He's sneaky. He throws hard."

MLB ERA

Damn, you think Bumgarner will get a early call up to the Majors? Or is he on the Giants roster?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bumgarner will start in high A Ball and stay in the minors the entire year. Sabean has said he wants Alderson, Bumgarner and Posey to grow and mature together so we will not be seeing any of them this year. Pucetas and Joe Martinez will be called up over Madison and Tim.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Joe Martinez won the 2009 Harry S. Jordan Award in voting conducted by players, coaches and the athletic training staff. The award is named for a former longtime Minor League trainer for the Giants and recognizes the player in his first big league camp whose performance and dedication in Spring Training best exemplifies the franchise's spirit.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Bumgarner will start in high A Ball and stay in the minors the entire year. Sabean has said he wants Alderson, Bumgarner and Posey to grow and mature together so we will not be seeing any of them this year. Pucetas and Joe Martinez will be called up over Madison and Tim.
    So by 2011, could we see Lincecum, Cain, Alderson, Bumgarner and Posey as our SP? Or would you think they would trade one or two of the three in the minors this year for a bat if the Giants are in contention by the ASB?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see Alderson or Bumgarner being traded but Cain could be if he doesn't ever reach that ace potential. Cain has an club option for 2011 so it depends on if the Giants pick it up or not. Pucetas, Martinez and Sanchez will be in the mix in that rotation as well as Zito of course. Posey is a catcher so he won't be a SP

MLB ERA

I think Cain has, and he will, if the Giants offense can only get him some run support!!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is still young so I am definitely not writing him off yet. He just needs to get ahead in the count early and cut the walks in half. He needs to start trusting his defense a little more.

MLB ERA

True, I think his early struggles could have been because of his immaturity of a young pitcher. I expect him to have a big year, especially with Randy Johnson in the dugout guiding him and Lincecum(probably doesn't need any guidance but it doesn't help getting mentored by a future HOF).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants completed their first winning Cactus League since 2005, finishing with a 19-17 record. Their .311 average leads all National League teams. They have hit 44 home runs, one behind Milwaukee for tops in the N.L.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Let's see if they can keep it up tonite. 7pm at ATT Park. A's vs Giants. Game on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast