Aurilia remains on Giants' radar | SFGiants.com: News

A couple of months ago I was totally against this but now it looks like the Giants will have no choice. The Giants haven't been able to find a corner infielder and look to have Sandoval and Ishikawa penciled in those positions. Aurilia would make for a good backup but only if that is his role. Aurilia can play all four positions on the infield but is primarily a first and third baseman. Aurilia played 140 games last year and hit .286 with 10 HRs and 52 RBI. The scary thing is he only scored 33 runs. He is not fast whatsoever.

Joe Crede and Ty Wigginton are just risks I don't want the Giants to take. I'd rather give Aurilia $2 million to backup Sandoval and Ishikawa. Crede has back problems and his defense (his only strength) has declined because of it. Wigginton can't play defense and he is looking for a three year deal. There is no way the Giants should even consider that. The Giants did sign Josh Phelps to a minor league contract and he could win a job as a backup at first and the OF. Burriss could also be the utility guy for the infield. Giants do have in house options but Aurilia might be the better fit. He's proven but my only fear is that Bochy will give him too much playing time. The Giants can take their time and probably wait till after pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. Giants have that long to try and make a deal for a corner infielder or else I say we sign him.