Thread: Interest in Crede?

MLB ERA

Free Agent Interest in Crede?

Giants willing to take chance on Crede | FanNation

According to SI's Jon Heyman the Giants are looking at 3B Joe Crede's medical reports and were not scared off. Crede would assumedly play third for the Giants, helping out new SS Edgar Renteria who has apparently less than spectacular range to his right side. Crede would certainly help defensively, and if healthy could be a solid offensive pickup.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Interest in Crede?

I have a hard time believing those reports. The kind of back problems Crede has had, especially with the demanding position he plays, would really scare me off no matter what report is saying. If the Giants could sign him to a cheap deal plus big incentives, that could be a great move, but not if they are signing him as "healthy" Joe Crede and the money that is demanded by a healthy player.

MLB ERA

I agree that they better be damn sure he's healthy, or they better give him a largely incentive based deal, or both, to protect themselves from the risk of him struggling due to the injuries, however, if he's willing to sign a 1 year deal as the report suggests, he could be a decent way to give some young'ns an extra year in the minors, and assumedly at a low cost to the team.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, a one year deal wouldn't be a huge deal. Plus, if Crede was able to stay healthy for more than 120 games, he could go back on the market for a pretty big contract as he would only be 31 next offseason.

MLB ERA

Exactly. That would be the ideal situation for Crede and his agent...you guessed it, Scott Boras.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Getting Crede would be no different than having Pedro Feliz. Actually, it would be like having Pedro Feliz with a bad back. Crede was not any good last season and even his defense suffered. I doubt any team is going to be pleased with his medical reports.

MLB ERA

Crede's a pretty good fielder(if healthy) and his bat can't hurt. Who's going to start at 3rd if you don't sign Crede?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes, Crede's bat can hurt...just like Feliz's did. Crede's defense wasn't good last year and don;t expect much of an improvement. Sandoval is our likely Opening Day third baseman if the Giants don't get anyone else.

MLB ERA

But Sandoval can move to another position, and Crede can be given a cheap one year deal to try to give him a chance to prove that he's over the injuries and can still produce. I mean, I wouldn't give him more than a couple million plus incentives, but on a one year cheap deal, he could be a decent signing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'd rather have Ishikawa and Sandoval over Sandoval and Crede. That's just me.

MLB ERA

I guess, but for a cheap deal, would you be willing to give Crede a chance in ST to win a job?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Not a guaranteed deal. I just don't see him finishing a whole season or even getting 100 games under his belt. He sounds more like a headache with his health and his piss poor average/OBP.

MLB ERA

Gotcha. I mean, if you give him a 1 year deal, you might be able to get him for like 1 mil guaranteed and say....with incentives it can go up to somewhere in the 5-8 range?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

With the way things are going, he might have to settle for a minor league deal.

MLB ERA

Could be, and then you could definitely justify giving him a shot.