Thread: A Good Read

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants A Good Read

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Rebuilding Giants heading in the right direction

Its a good summary of what the Giants are trying to do and why Sabean has done a good job doing it. Sabean has built us a contender while not jeopardizing the future. Here's one thing I did disagree on:

San Fran could use an impact bat at one of the outfield corners. Randy Winn and Fred Lewis, while plus defenders, simply can't hit enough by positional standards. Adam Dunn, who has the secondary skills that almost every Giant hitter lacks, would be a good fit, and since he wasn't offered arbitration he won't cost them a draft pick. With the promising Pablo Sandoval set to take over at first base, the Giants will also need upgrades at either second or third base. Perhaps Orlando Hudson, another former D-back not offered arbitration?
    Winn is a keeper as he plays RF at AT&T Park better than anyone I can think of. Maybe Reggie Sanders. I would not be sad if the Giants got an upgrade over Lewis. Giants definitely need power from somewhere and if its over Lewis, so be it. Giants could try and package Lewis in some kind of trade. Whoever it is, it better not be Adam Dunn or Manny Ramirez. The article also says Sandoval is playing first but Bochy has said he will play third. Ishikawa is a front runner for first. Giants aren't done yet, I just hope they continue to be smart in their decisions.

MLB ERA

Re: A Good Read

I just saw this story and thought it was worthy of being posted. I do not disagree that the Giants are headed in the right direction, but I'm not sure they are ready to0 contend this year or not. They should be a much better team and Randy Johnson should be able to help some of the kids learn a bit of intensity.
    Thumbs up to the Giants.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

With the Dbacks, Padres and Rockies weakened by the economy, I think the Giants are definite contenders as of right now. Let's not forget the Dodgers have yet to do anything about their rotation. The Giants have lost a lot of one run ballgames the past two years. The additions to the bullpen should end that. Plus the Giants should have a better offense this year. That will help stop the one run ballgames too.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Let's not forget the Dodgers have yet to do anything about their rotation.
    You best not forget that we just added Claudio Vargas and his 5.09 ERA, 1.54 WHIP. In short, he's our answer to Barry Zito.