Thread: Ty Wigginton?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Ty Wigginton?

The Indians, Giants and Pirates have joined the Reds in displaying interest in Ty Wigginton, according to the Star Tribune.
    There's been little to indicate that the Indians have serious interest, and the Pirates don't figure to spend the money it'd take to land him. However, the Giants and Reds are legitimate candidates to sign Wigginton. The Twins might also join the mix.
    I would welcome Wigginton's bat but the Giants can't afford his defense. If the Giants are serious about a third baseman, they need to get someone who isn't a butcher at the position. The Giants just signed Renteria is not the SS he once was. Giants don't need another liability on the left side. Maybe Carney Lansford could work with him? If the Giants are serious, they should really try and see if Ryan Zimmerman is available. There has got to be a reason why the Nationals haven't locked him up yet.

Re: Ty Wigginton?

Does Zimmy want to go year by year?

I though Sabs said Pablo was the third baseman this year? Might be be better at 1B?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pablo is the third baseman for now but Sabean is always looking for ways to improve. I just don;t think Wigginton is that man. Sandoval is not really a first baseman or third baseman but is the best in house option at third. Ishikawa is our first baseman right now with Josh Phelps as a possible backup if he makes the team in Spring Training. If the Giants can find a third baseman, Sandoval would moce to first with Ishikawa.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

At this point, I wouldn't mind the Giants taking a chance on Renteria's old infield partner Scott Rolen. There is still no one better with the glove and he won't cost that much as far as prospects. His salary and history of shoulder problems ensures that. If the Giants took on all Rolen's remaining contract (2 years,$24 million), the Jays would be happy with anything. Plus it would allow them to sign a pitcher with the freed up cash. Rolen has still averaged 123 games a year since shoulder surgery in '05. With Sandoval, the Giants could keep Rolen fresh.

Whoops I meant Wiggington at 1B, not Pablo. I live right outside SF, so I catch a lot of Giants and A's games.

I think all told, Pablo is best at 3B for now, and getting a 1B would work out better. Who that is? Good guess. AnVil isn't ready yet, so it's a stop gap, no?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ishikawa can do the job with Sandoval helping out. He has a good glove and has some pop. Wiggington at first would be the better option. Sandoval hit better as a third baseman than a first baseman.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Ishikawa can do the job with Sandoval helping out. He has a good glove and has some pop. Wiggington at first would be the better option. Sandoval hit better as a third baseman than a first baseman.
    Stupid question how does playing different positions on defense alter how you do at the plate? I mean is it psychological? Because if I'm playing OF, or IF it doesn't matter to me what I do when I'm up at bat, my approach is the same.

MLB ERA

I don't know if it's actually psychological, but it appears that certain people do hit better when playing certain positions. It may be psychological, or it could just be a meaningless stupid statistic....but at times it appears to be true.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    Stupid question how does playing different positions on defense alter how you do at the plate? I mean is it psychological? Because if I'm playing OF, or IF it doesn't matter to me what I do when I'm up at bat, my approach is the same.
    Its all about comfort level. If you feel more comfortable playing somewhere, you will play better. Its just like in all walks of life. If you're comfortable with what you are doing, you do better at it. Plus if you are working overtime on your defense at a certain position, it will affect your hitting. Less ABs in practice can lead to bad mechanics. Take Rickie Weeks for example. Many scouts and GMs agree that he will benefit offensively moving to the OF. They say he works too hard at becoming a good second baseman that it hurts his offense. He isn't comfortable. Players can also be affected by their placement in the lineup. When I played, I only felt comfortable hitting third or fifth. In college, I hit leadoff and in fall ball I did not do well. I was used to seeing the pitcher for a few hitters to see what he had. At leadoff, you had no time to feel him out. By the time spring came around and the games meant something, I was more comfortable at leadoff and did very well. At the same time, I was adjusting from CF to RF. That had an affect too because I thought I was the best CFer. It took me time to realize why the coach moved me to RF due to me having the best arm. Baseball is the ultimate thinking man's game and you need a level head to be any good.