Thread: Hank Blalock?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Hank Blalock?

The Giants and Rangers will reportedly discuss a Hank Blalock trade at the winter meetings.
    Blalock for Jonathan Sanchez? It wouldn't make much sense for the Giants, especially with the questions surrounding Blalock's ability to play third base. Also, he has just one year left on his deal. Blalock wouldn't necessarily be a bad pickup, but the cost would have to be pretty low. A utilityman like Eugenio Velez or lefty reliever Jack Taschner and a prospect would be a fair return.
    Blalock is someone who I wanted two seasons ago but Hank can't stay off the DL if his life depended on it. If the Giants did trade for him, Hank would mostly likely play first for the Giants. He can't stay healthy at third and he does have a little experience at first. J.T. Snow could work with him like has other players like Aurilia, Ortmeier and Bowker. Blalock has a season average of 26 HRs but that also comes with 126 strikeouts and a lousy OBP. If the Giants trade Sanchez, expect them to sign someone like a Randy Johnson to fill in for a year till Bumgarner or Alderson. Like the article says, I don't see the Giants having to give up someone as "good" as Sanchez. If Velez is all it took, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I have said before, if we want someone with one year left on their contract I want Brandon Inge and his defense.

MLB ERA

Re: Hank Blalock?

I just saw his stats from last 2 seasons, he has avg 62 games per season, if we can get Blalock real cheap, then go for it, because when healthy he has the potential to hit BA .300+, .800+ OPS, 30+ HRs, and 100+ RBI.

And maybe a change venue might also help him get back to his 04/05 form?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I doubt changing venues would help that much. He would be leaving a very hitter friendly park to a park that favors pitchers. Plus him being left handed would't help either but I could see him tearing up the gaps, just as i expect Renteria to do.

AAA ERA

I would not make that trade. We would be giving up too much for a guy who spends more than half the season on the DL! NO way!!!
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

MLB ERA

There is a reason Blalock is still in Texas and you've hit it right on the head. He is always injured. There was a lot of speculation that the Twins would trade for him and a deal was proposed, but rejected by the Rangers as not enough. I'm glad the Twins didn't make a better offer.
    As was said, minor leaguers or a utility player and a minor leaguer should be enough for this guy.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon