Thread: Sanchez For Cantu??

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Sanchez For Cantu??

The Giants and Marlins have reportedly discussed swapping Jonathan Sanchez and Jorge Cantu.
    That's be a terrific deal for the Marlins. Florida isn't necessarily looking to add an additional starter, but Cantu would be a small price to pay for someone with Sanchez's considerable upside. If the Marlins made the deal, they could use Gaby Sanchez at first and Dallas McPherson and Wes Helms at third. A deal would also free up some money to use to sign Ivan Rodriguez or another player.
    I am a little mixed on this one. Sanchez is a nice pitcher but his inconsistency at the big league level is a huge concern. He flamed out last year but it was the most innings he has ever pitched. But even before that he wasn't that great. He can strikeout people but he can walk a lot of them too. Sanchez's control is a real problem. Sanchez through three years has a MLB ERA of 5.18 and a 1.50 WHIP. Cantu would give the Giants a good power bat at first base. Cantu at third is just atrocious but he can play there when needed but he needs to stay at first. Both men are the same age so we aren't getting any older. Cantu hit 29 HRs and drove in 95 runs last season and seems to be back on track. Cantu had most of his success at home last year in Florida which is a pitcher's park. That is a very good sign. Cantu and Ishikawa at first would be good for 35+HRs and a lot of production. If this is the best we can do for Sanchez, I say do it. Last year the best we could get for Sanchez was Joe Crede and look how Crede's season went. If Sanchez is traded, the Giants will need to find another starter.

AA ERA

Re: Sanchez For Cantu??

Regardless of the season Cantu had last year, I'd still say the jury is out on whether or not he can continue to produce like that, especially considering it will be expected of him from this point forward.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is only 26 and had done it before last year. Foot injuries are what slowed his career there for a while. Let me remind you that no Giant had more than 20 HRs last year. This will knock Molina out of the cleanup spot where he never belonged. Like I said, last year most of his success cam while hitting in a pitcher's park (18 HRs, .318 BA). If the Giants can get a better bat, of course I am all for it.

AAA ERA

I have always liked Sanchez but the way he phoned it in at the end of last season made me rethink his use to the team. At this point I would make this deal if possible.
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

AA ERA

I'm not saying I wouldn't consider the deal as is but at the same time, I'm not sold that Cantu can continue to produce to that magnitude going forth. He deserves credit for posting such numbers as last seasons in a pitchers park, but then again he wasn't expected to turn out that well either. It will be interesting to see how well he can do now that last seasons numbers will be expected from him from here on out.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here's a quote from Sabean which should end the Cantu talks:

"We went over it today. Sandoval's probably our third baseman," Sabean said. Regarding first base, Sabean added, "Defense is too important at that position for us, and Ishikawa is one of the better young first basemen coming out of the Minor Leagues, as far as defense."
    Cantu is better at first than third but that's like me saying I am better at speaking Spanish than German. We are both horrible at both.

AAA ERA

I would still make this deal. We need another bat more than we need Sanchez!
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Paul Konerko is available on the trade market so there is a possible option. I just want someone with good defense who can hit bombs like Konerko or Ryan Shealy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Sun-Sentinel believes the Giants are out of the running for Jorge Cantu, primarily because they don't feel he can handle third base.
    The Giants were never likely to give up Jonathan Sanchez for him anyway. The odds are increasing that Cantu will stay with the Marlins and start at third or first next year.
    I think the Giants can do better but I am still not high on Sanchez.