Thread: Renteria, Howry To San Fran?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Renteria, Howry To San Fran?

The agent of Edgar Renteria has identified St. Louis and San Francisco as fitting destinations for the free agent shortstop.
    "I have tried to identify some places where we think Edgar would be a good fit," agent Barry Meister said Friday. "Clearly St. Louis and San Francisco are two clubs where they seem to have a fit, and where I know Edgar would really have some interest." The Giants have an opening with 41-year-old Omar Vizquel on his way out and the Cardinals are likely to let Cesar Izturis walk.

Free agent Bob Howry is open to the possibility of signing with the Giants.
    Howry opened his career in the Giants organization before being traded, along with Keith Foulke, to the White Sox in a nine-player deal 11 years ago. "Howry does have some interest in returning to the Giants," agent Craig Landis said. "It may be a possibility. It is too early to tell." Howry is a Type A free agent, but it seems unlikely that the Cubs will offer him arbitration and risk having him come back at $4 million-$5 million next year.
    The Giants can definitely do better than these two. I think Sabean should use these guys as options C's or D's. Renteria's NL numbers are good so I have no doubt he can turn it around after a disappointing '08 season fro Detroit. His defense is suspect which won't help our pitching though his offense will be welcomed. Renteria would look good in the #2 hole in the lineup though Furcal would look even better at leadoff. Howry had an awful '08 season and I really don't want him at all but should be in the very back of Sabean's mind of the better relievers go elsewhere.

MLB ERA

Re: Renteria, Howry To San Fran?

I think the Giants need to get older and more expensive.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Then Orlando Cabrera it is!

AAA ERA

I agree with all the above. None of these guys makes the Bears list!
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Renteria's rep negotiating with Giants | MLB.com: News

I hope the Giants are just trying to force Furcal's hand. If the Giants did sign Renteria, there could be a good chance of getting Hudson too.