Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C.C. To San Francisco?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants C.C. To San Francisco?

Here is a blog from ESPN's Buster Olney on why the Giants should outbid for C.C. Sabathia.
    ESPN - Buster Olney Blog

I agree with a lot of Olney is saying. Sabathia would help pay for himself by becoming the face of the Giants. What creeps the shit out of me is that everyone was saying the same stuff about Zito before he was signed. Zito was going to save the franchise in the post-Bonds era but that didn't even come close to happening. Sabathia has also logged a lot of innings over the past few seasons which has to be concerning for any team. I would love to have a rotation of Sabathia, Lincecum, Cain, Lowry and Zito but at what cost? Giants are better off getting a big time offensive threat that plays everyday and comes at a much smaller risk. Zito is the biggest bust in all of sports history with that contract. Can the Giants afford another one?

MLB ERA

Re: C.C. To San Francisco

I would say no, unless somehow CC would consider a hometown discount, which I highly doubt it. Plus with Zito contract, I doubt the Giants would pay 2 starting pitcher 100m+ one being the ace, the other being the 5th starter. In theory this makes sense, but realistically when we are already loaded at the SP position, I highly doubt it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Giants are soon expected to make CC Sabathia a contract offer.
    Sabathia hails from nearby Vallejo, California and has previously indicated that he'd like to pitch in his home state. Apparently Barry Zito hasn't made the Giants gun shy about handing out huge deals to free agent southpaws.
    CC wants to be on the west coast, loves the NL and the Giants would have another CY Young winner in the rotation but cannot see this happening. I hope this is just to jack up the price for the Dodgers. It has been interesting that many rumors suggest the Giants might go after the big boys like Manny and CC. Weird.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

ESPN - Jayson Stark Blog

Interesting read from Stark. With Sanchez rumored to be dealt, this come become a bigger possibility. I'd rather the Giants throw that money at Teiexeira but I won't cry if we get Sabathia. Please keep in mind I said the same about Zito

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    ESPN - Jayson Stark Blog

Interesting read from Stark. With Sanchez rumored to be dealt, this come become a bigger possibility. I'd rather the Giants throw that money at Teiexeira but I won't cry if we get Sabathia. Please keep in mind I said the same about Zito
    I just don't think of CC and Barry in the same way. CC is far and away the better pitcher so if they can sign him I say go for it. I just don't see signing Renteria or Howry. That is throwing you money away.
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: C.C. To San Francisco?

I don't see it as throwing money away on Renteria and Howry. They both fill needs for the Giants and are huge upgrades from last year. Both are not hurting the rebuilding process as they are allowing guys to mature at the minor league level. The Giants are trying to put a competitive team on the field, something the Giants failed to do this last year which costs the Giants their first winning season in since '03. Last year, 15 Giants made their MLB debuts!! That is not a good thing as I see it. Sounds like a team in shambles and calling kids up before they are ready. Renteria gives a short term option at SS and Howry is a one year fix and and provides insurance in case Valdez is injured again or if Romo and some of our youth have setbacks. Howry is a quality reliever, everything this Giants team needs. More importantly, neither Renteria or Howry cost us any draft picks which helps the rebuilding process even further. Zito is the only one throwing away money, every time he pitches.

MLB ERA

Giants had a winning season in 04, in 03 was the last time the Giants were in the postseason, if thats what you meant?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nope, just simply missed calculated. Thanks for the correction. Four straight losing seasons after eight straight winning seasons. I want us to get back to winning!! Too bad Bochy is still here

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the New York Daily News, the Giants are "contemplating" making an offer to CC Sabathia in excess of $100 million.
    There's no indication that the Giants will approach the Yankees' reported $140 million proposal, but Sabathia is from California and the New York Post reportedly previously that his wife would like him to pitch in San Francisco.
    Does anyone else feel a little weird having so much money locked up in two players who don't play everyday?

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Does anyone else feel a little weird having so much money locked up in two players who don't play everyday?
    This is a double edge sword. We need to rid ourselves of Zito a mistake but we should not miss at the chance to get CC. Add CC to our young rotation and we will be set for the next six to ten years!
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Add CC to our young rotation and we will be set for the next six to ten years!
    Wasn't that what they were trying to do with Zito?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes, they were but Zito was already showing signs declining. I was optimistic that Zito could gain back some mph's on his fastball but I was dead wrong. Only way Zito can be moved is if we eat half his salary, take hardly nothing of value in return and find a sucker to take him. Sabean best be calling Jim Bowden right now!! If they do give an offer to Sabathia, it best not go past five years and even five is pushing it. How long can a pitcher that size hold up? If we do get Sabathia, who starts Opening Day? Bochy has already stated Lincecum would start but could this change things? Bochy is not the smartest guy in baseball. He did start Barry Zito on Opening Day setting off a dangerous pattern of Zito facing other aces giving the Giants no shot to win right off the bat

MLB ERA

If CC signs with the Giants I can almost guarantee he starts opening day.

Big signing + Bochy's love of vets = opening day starter

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But Bochy has already stated Lincecum is starting plus Lincecum is the reigning CY winner. I don't think even Bochy has the balls but he also has no brain.. It will also be interesting to see if Cain becomes available if Sabathia is signed. Giants still need a big bat.

MLB ERA

The Cy Young award might be the only thing that saves Lincecum's opening day nod.

Remember, Bochy is the same guy who started David Wells on opening day instead of Jake Peavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast