Giants signed first baseman Josh Phelps to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Phelps picked St. Louis as a free agent last winter, even though that meant he had Albert Pujols in front of him at first base. He'd seem to be in a better situation this time, but it depends on whether the Giants sign a first baseman this winter. Even if they don't, it'd still make sense for San Francisco to go to younger guys in Pablo Sandoval, John Bowker and Travis Ishikawa. At best, Phelps would probably make the team as a starter against left-handers and pinch-hitter.
Unlike the author of this article, I actually like this move. Phelps has always been able to supply power and had a good season in Memphis last year. Phelps hit .291 with 31 HRs and 97 RBI in AAA. He's got a good bat and its only a minor league contract. I am all for giving Sandoval and Ishiikawa competition in Spring Training. Throwing a 30 yr old Phelps in this mix will make it even more intense. And if they do sign a true first baseman, no harm no foul. All I know is Bowker needs to go back to the OF and stay in AA or AAA and learn how to hit. I do hope the Giants get a better first baseman but Sandoval and Phelps is better than last year's Aurilia and Bowker.