Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Molina To The Mets?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Molina To The Mets?

Molina is a huge upgrade defensively as well as offensively and its not debatable. His BA was not a fluke as he hit .295 as far back as 2005. He hits well with RISP and look at his production while playing on a shitty SF team. He is a better hitter and catcher than the Mets have right now. Molina has been to the playoffs and helped the Angels win a title. Let me remind you the reports says the Mets are the ones talking about Molina, not the other way around. Molina is not a piece of crap by any means. Molina is better than Schneider and he is better than Castro. Mets need to upgrade since the division winning Phillies are three innings from winning a World Series. Enough logic for you?

MLB ERA

Mets need to upgrade a couple places, but not Catcher. They need to upgrade their bullpen, their rotation, and 2nd Base. Catcher is the least of their worries.

Molina has hit over .290 only twice in his life. Not to mention that he's 35, and a catcher, the time when bad knees start to wear you down. He has no speed, he's by no means a lock to hit any better than .280, and his "power" is only 15-20 HR in a good year. I'm not denying that Molina would be an upgrade over Scheider or Castro, but I would not give up key cogs to the future for a guy like Molina who's contract is up after 2009.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Again, its the Mets that is talking about trading for him and not the Giants. Molina is only 33 and turns 34 next July and has shown zero signs of slowing down even after playing more in SF than anywhere else. He is a lock to hit better than any catcher you got. If Murphy is the offer, the Giants will say no. Where the logic lies is that Molina is a huge upgrade for the Mets whereas Murphy is not an upgrade anywhere for the Giants.

MLB ERA

It's a rumor. You seem to be of the opposite opinion, but I think that any deal where the Mets would give up Murphy(a long term potential cog) for one year of an upgraded catcher would be stupid for the Mets.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cog? what is a cog? Murphy needs to find a position first to be considered a long term anything. It is a rumor and it would be stupid to give up Molina for a guy like Murphy. The Gianst would be losing offense which they cannot afford to do.

MLB ERA

But Molina will be gone after next year. Here's a bit of shocking news...the Giants are not gonna win this year. Molina does nothing for you. You CAN afford to lose his offense, because it will be the difference between losing 90 games and losing 100 games. Either way, you won't be a winning team until after he leaves anyway.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Thanks for not answering my question and you don't know how next year will go. Molina is a very valuable part of the Giants and yes they will be losing a key piece. It is extremely ignorant of you to make predictions for next season when the World Series for this year isn't even over yet. The Giants play in a weak division so anything is possible. If the Giants do trade Molina, they definitely will not be winning anything next year so no, as of right now the Giants CANNOT afford to lose Molina!! The Giants have no sure backups to take his place. It would be beyond dumb to trade for a guy who has no real position and doesn't supply as much production as Molina!! It's flat out stupid! The Mets CAN afford to trade Murphy because he has no true place on the Mets. He is awful at third, just started playing first and as you said he is mediocre in the OF. Who would trade their team leader in RBI for that??? Like I said in my very first post, the Giants should wait and if the Giants are indeed out of the race next season, then they should trade him for something far better than a Daniel Murphy. Here's shocking news, you don't know what will happen next year especially in the West and please don;t act like you do. Molina for Murphy is a dumb trade proposal for the Giants and in now way they would do it. Again, Molina provides a huge upgrade for the Mets who are nearly in win-now mode and Murphy provides no upgrade at all for the Giants. The Mets would have to do better than that! In order for the Giants to trade anyone, they would have to get better somehow. This proposal doesn't do that.

MLB ERA

A cog is just an instrumental part of a working machine.

Yes, the Mets are in win-now, but Catcher is not the position I believe we need to upgrade. Murphy is a very productive player, and as a LF/1B he could play the majority of the season and be VERY productive. Molina would upgrade the already strong part of the team(our lineup), while not benefiting our weaknesses in the bullpen, and 1-2 spots in the rotation. If I'm going to trade Murphy or Niese, who believe it or not are pretty damn talented youngsters, I'm going to trade them for pitching(because we need it more), or someone who will be around for more than one damn season. It's not like adding Molina will be the move that puts the Mets as favorites, so why would they trade one of the key pieces over the next 3-5 years for one year of Molina?

I'm not saying Molina is not an upgrade. I can see your points, but I don't understand why you think it would be so favorable for the Mets to trade their future for Benjie Molina....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Apparently the Mets DO think they need an upgrade at catcher or else they wouldn't be having internal discussions about Molina. He would help on defense as well as offense. It might be one year of Molina or the Mets can extend him for a couple more seasons if he did well. If not, they still get the draft picks. Murphy is a good hitter but doesn't add to what the Giants need. Giants need power and guys who can drive in runs in bunches. Murphy is not that type of hitter. Schneider hit .185 with RISP. That costs the Mets big time!! Molina hit .316 with RISP and would create even more offense to offset the bullpen woes. You honestly don't think Molina's production could have won the Mets the four games the Mets needed to reach the playoffs? The move won't put them as favorites but it would help immensely. Keeping Murphy isn't going to make them favorites either. Again, Murphy has to find a position first to be apart of any team's future. The Mets would be getting better while the Giants would be getting worse.

MLB ERA

Fine, based on that one report, you're correct. But I'm continuously stating that it makes no sense to think that Catcher is a serious Mets need. The offense was not really the issue last year, it was the bullpen. Until that is fixed, no amount of offense will balance out 30 blown saves from the pen...

The Mets are having internal discussions about EVERYONE. They've said that they are going to discuss every single player on the market. They're talking about Manny, they're talking about K-Rod, Fuentes, Dunn, Orlando Hudson, EVERYONE. Doesn't mean there's actually interest. Just ask the KC Royals about the Mets' interest in Jose Guillen....it's not actually happening.

MLB ERA

I would highly doubt the Mets would offer Murphy to the Giants for a one year rental at catcher, you guys had Barry Bonds in Left all those years, and Murphy is a decent OF, and he can play 3B better than some current MLB 3B (not saying hes good but he wouldn't be the worst), and he's a good player.

When your RBI leader is Benji Molina, your team isn't that good and you should take young guys that can hit for power, they can learn to play better defense later.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Fine, based on that one report, you're correct. But I'm continuously stating that it makes no sense to think that Catcher is a serious Mets need. The offense was not really the issue last year, it was the bullpen. Until that is fixed, no amount of offense will balance out 30 blown saves from the pen...

The Mets are having internal discussions about EVERYONE. They've said that they are going to discuss every single player on the market. They're talking about Manny, they're talking about K-Rod, Fuentes, Dunn, Orlando Hudson, EVERYONE. Doesn't mean there's actually interest. Just ask the KC Royals about the Mets' interest in Jose Guillen....it's not actually happening.
    It might not be a serious need but they can definitely use the upgrade there. And for only $6 mill it is worth it. Again, the Giants will want pitching or someone who at least replace Molina's production which makes the Mets a bad trading partner. Internal discussions=interest. If they weren't interested, why talk about it? Makes no sense. Just how intense the talks are is th more important thing. The Mets ARE interested in Manny, Krod, Fuentes, Dunn and everyone else under the sun because they makes their teams better, just like Molina would. Mets can;t have them all but doesn't mean they aren't interested. Mets were interested in Molina last year so the interest is definitely there. Mets CAN trade for Molina and get pitching help too. Its not like they can only have one or the other.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I would highly doubt the Mets would offer Murphy to the Giants for a one year rental at catcher, you guys had Barry Bonds in Left all those years, and Murphy is a decent OF, and he can play 3B better than some current MLB 3B (not saying hes good but he wouldn't be the worst), and he's a good player.

When your RBI leader is Benji Molina, your team isn't that good and you should take young guys that can hit for power, they can learn to play better defense later.
    That's just it cj, the Mets don't have anyone with power the Giants need. Murphy definitely isn;t that power hitter!! Bonds played left field for all those years and was the best hitter in all of baseball too!! Murphy doesn't play a good third. He might be better than Braun or Marte but that's about it. I'd rather have Frandsen play third than Murphy.

MLB ERA

Frandsen? Okay TO, there is no way Murphy is worse than frandsen, thats absurd, I respect most of your opinions but your wrong here...its not close
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes he is worse at third and it's not even close!! You are the one that is wrong my friend. Murphy has 49 errors in 149 games at third base!!!! That is truly pathetic! Murphy is a better hitter but Frandsen is the much better fielder. Frandsen will most likely be our second baseman next season but if need be, he will play third and not make 49 errors in a season!! Burriss or Frandsen would do better defensively at third than Murphy. Hell, Rich Aurilia wouldn;t boot the ball that many times!! You are the one that is ill-informed, not me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast