Thread: Class A Wins "Best Minor League Team"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Class A Wins "Best Minor League Team"

The San Francisco Giants made a decision the past few years to be more aggressive in their farm system, bringing in a lot of young talent and challenging them by pushing them quickly.

That's not supposed to equate to success in terms of wins and losses, at least not right away. Someone forgot to tell the Augusta GreenJackets, San Francisco's South Atlantic League affiliate. With a roster dotted with teenagers, the GreenJackets were dominant all season and swept their way to the league title. For that reason, they are the recipients of the 2008 MiLBY for both Class A and overall Team of the Year. "I'm very happy you're doing that," Augusta first-year manager Andy Skeels said. "I think it's well-deserved, and it's nice to know that someone is paying attention."

It's hard not to, not after what the GreenJackets accomplished. After posting a .594 winning percentage in the first half, they turned it up a few notches to win the second-half title, winning at a .681 clip. That gave Augusta a .638 winning percentage overall, the best mark of any full-season team in the Minor Leagues.
    The Giants have had the best overall minor league system over the past three years but just don't have the over-hyped prospects but that is starting to change. Its good to see our younger guys learning how to win as a team. Another congratulations is in order for Madison Bumgarner for winning Minor League Baseball's Most Spectacular Pitcher for recording the lowest ERA in the Minors and all at the age of 18!! Amazing! Sabean might not be doing to Major League club a lot of favors the past few years but he has turned his focus on the draft and Minor League system. Congrats again to Augusta and to the Giants farm system overall. Keep up the good work!!

MLB ERA

Re: Class A Wins "Best Minor League Team"

Wow, what an accomplishment, I'm excited to see some these guys at the big league level in a few years.

MLB ERA

Congrats on quite an accomplishment. Very good for the Giants.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Here is a story from Baseball America about Sergio Romo:

SAN FRANCISCO—It was difficult to notice any other Giants pitcher amid Tim Lincecum's blinding radiance last season, but righthander Sergio Romo had a year to remember.

The rookie began the year at Double-A Connecticut and finished it in the major leagues, where he compiled a streak of 172⁄3 scoreless innings over his last 13 appearances.

If anyone has earned a place in next year's Giants bullpen alongside closer Brian Wilson, it's Romo. But the righthander was determined to improve his repertoire this winter, and signed to pitch for the Mexicali Aguilas.

"I'll work on my changeup, staying aggressive and staying in the swing of things,'' Romo said. "I'm going there as a setup man in the hopes of competing for that job here next year.''

Manager Bruce Bochy is putting an emphasis on strike throwers after the Giants issued 652 walks last season. Only the Pirates walked more batters in the National League.

Romo fits the bill. He gets ahead of hitters with a deceptive fastball that touches 91 mph, and fools them with two variations on a slider. He has a tight slider that breaks to the hands of righthanders and snaps back across the plate, which leads to a lot of called strikeouts. And he can drop down for a bigger, sweeping slider that induces a lot of ground balls.

"The key is to throw strikes, and I'm not perfect at that,'' Romo said. "I know most guys won't figure you out after a couple of at-bats. So before I get comfortable, I have to establish myself. I feel I still have a way to go to reach that level.''
    He could help turn the Giants fortunes around.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I can see Romo being our setup man next year. And potentially if he can get his velocity up on his fastball I can also see him as a closer if Wilson continues to struggle as he as shown with his high number of walks and ERA.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Romo will be a nice piece to our bullpen and hopefully Hinshaw can progress from the left side. Merkin Valdez is the key though. If his arm stays healthy, we have our setup man! Valdez, Hinshaw and Romo available for the 8th will be a huge upgrade from Tascher, Walker and Yabu even though Yabu exceeded all expectations and turned in a good season.