Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Molina To The Mets?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rumor Molina To The Mets?

The Mets are considering upgrading at catcher this winter and have reportedly already had internal discussions regarding Bengie Molina.
    It's likely that the Giants will keep Molina unless offered significantly more than he's worth. The 34-year-old has one year left on his deal and is due $6 million in 2009. Considering that it'd cost the Mets either Jon Niese or Daniel Murphy and more to get him, they'd be better off just sticking with Brian Schneider and Ramon Castro.
    I say no for now because I think the Giants would be best served trading him at the deadline next season if the Giants are out of it. Molina has been the best free agent pickup for Sabean in a long, long time. Molina hit .292 and drove in 95 runs last season and still plays great defense. He could help any team down the stretch next year and the Giants can probably get more for him then. Unless a team blows Sabean's hair back, I say wait to trade Bengie.

MLB ERA

Re: Molina To The Mets?

Jason Varitek might be an option for the mets too
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Jason Varitek's no-hitter catching skill is cancelled out by the Mets inability to ever throw a no-hitter, so Varitek is NOT an option. Molina would not be a significant enough upgrade for one year to warrant trading a part of the future like Murphy OR Niese, so I don't see the Mets offering anything significant like that for a one year contract like Molina

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Molina had more HRs and RBI than all Mets catchers combined. That is one helluva upgrade!!

MLB ERA

True, but I'd rather stick with Schneider/Castro and KEEP Dan Murphy and Jon Niese, as opposed to bringing in a guy for one year, especially when offensive output was not our biggest problem. I'll take on Molina, but you'd have to make it worth my while, and asking for some top YOUNG talent for a one year rental on Molina is not worth it in my mind.

MLB ERA

Bengie Molina Is A Valuable Player And Other Teams Should Trade Talent For Him.

MLB ERA

Does every word of your post have to be capitalized?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I wouldn't want a Daniel Murphy and doubt the Giants would either. Giants have way too many OFers as is. Giants would want pitching or a third baseman. Molina would be a huge upgrade for the Mets and the Giants know that.

MLB ERA

Murphy is not an OF by trade. He's actually a 1B/3B. He switched positions from 3B-->1B because he knew Wright plays third. Then, when they called him up, Delgado was doing well, and they asked if he could learn LF. He did, but he's still a corner infielder, which is why I assume the Giants WOULD want him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Murphy is a horrible third baseman which is the another reason he had to move. First base is not his trade by any means. Murphy is best used as an OFer and the Giants don;t need one unless he hits 30+ HRs.

MLB ERA

Not true at all. He was not an outstanding 3B, but was serviceable. His ability is best suited for 1B. He was a very mediocre OF, which is why he NEVER PLAYED THE OUTFIELD UNTIL THIS SEASON.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes it is true. Murphy was a terrible third baseman and was never projected to stay at third base. Murphy has never played first base UNTIL THIS YEAR and the Giants have plenty of players that just started playing first as well. Murphy doesn't hit for power so the Giants would be losing power if they traded Molina for Murphy. Murphy sucks at third, just started playing first and is not the answer for the Giants.

MLB ERA

Murphy is a better, smarter player than you give him credit for. And I would not give him up for ONE YEAR of Benjie Molina. That's the end of the story, as far as I'm concerned...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is a terrible third baseman and I'm not going to give him credit until he deserves it!! He might be smart, don't know that or not and that never came into question. The Giants do not need Daniel Murphy since he has no real position. Giants need power and a regular everyday player or pitching. Murphy does none of these so there is no reason the Giants should trade one of their best players and that's that as far as I'm concerned.

MLB ERA

By that logic, give me ONE reason the Mets need Molina? Molina delivers a decent average(his average last year was likely a fluke since his career average is .277), some decent power, and lots of fat/lack of speed. The Mets have plenty of power, are fine in batting average, and don't need a fat piece of crap. I'm pretty sure that I can use your logic to say the Mets don't have a need for Molina.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast