Thread: Giants Revamping Roster.......Finally!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Revamping Roster.......Finally!

Giants designated infielder Jose Castillo for assignment.
    Claimed off waivers from the Marlins during spring training, Castillo posted a .244/.290/.381 line in 394 at-bats for San Francisco, with just a .934 fielding percentage at third. The 27-year-old is likely nearing the end of the line.
    What a terrible move by the Giants to not find a true third baseman and have to result to starting a waiver claim at third. He was a waste and a double play pro. Just one of the many reasons the Giants sucked this year.
    Giants optioned catcher Steve Holm to Triple-A Fresno.
    Holm has seen limited action since re-joining the Giants in July, but he managed to go 6-for-12. Still, he's not a long-term answer, and the team wants to take a look at Pablo Sandoval.
    I like Holm because he calls a great game. Giants best keep him around but Sandoval does have more offense so he is worth a look now.
    Giants optioned infielder/outfielder John Bowker to Triple-A Fresno
    Bowker has been seeing plenty of time at first base since mid-June, but he hasn't homered in his last 96 at-bats. He's also managed just nine hits in his last 78 at-bats, bringing his average down to .247 on the season.
    Its about time!! Bowker had his moments but overall was not that impressive. He did take huge steps forward on his defense in his first year playing first but cannot hit it the big league level. He swings at the first pitch way too much, especially with RISP. Bowker needs to go back down and learn how to hit.

Giants purchased the contract of infielder Ryan Rohlinger from Double-A Connecticut.
    The Giants are going to be dealing with one bloated 40-man roster this winter. Rohlinger is playing third and batting second against left-handed Randy Wolf on Wednesday night. He hit .289 with 13 homers and a 70/47 K/BB ratio in 436 at-bats between Single- and Double-A this season, sporting an OPS of 811.
    Haven't really heard much about this guy but he seems to be climbing the ladder pretty quickly. Just another Giant making his MLB debut. I think that's 16 for the year now?

Giants purchased the contract of catcher/infielder Pablo Sandoval from Double-A Connecticut.
    Sandoval has a .350/.394/.578 line in 448 minor league at-bats this season, and could immediately see significant playing time between first base and catcher. He's someone NL-only leaguers should keep an eye on.
    I noticed this guy earlier this season and was intrigued with his play. His defense isn't there yet but he has been hitting well in Single A and AA. For once the Giants are stacked at catcher.
    Giants recalled infielder Travis Ishikawa from Triple-A Fresno.
    The 24-year-old was hitting .299 with 24 homers and 94 RBI between Double- and Triple-A this season, and the lefty will audition at first base over the last seven weeks of the season.
    He's back folks and about a month too late. We saw him back in '06 where he did a decent job. He was hitting too well to be kept down so long with Bowker crapping his pants.

Giants are shaking things and seeing just what they have for next year. I like it and I think it will work. Competition for playing is always good. It separates the men from the boys.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Revamping Roster.......Finally!

Giants optioned LHP Geno Espineli to Triple-A Fresno
    Espineli had a 5.40 ERA in 11 2/3 innings since being promoted by the Giants last month, with all seven runs coming in two of his nine appearances.

Giants recalled RHP Matt Palmer from Triple-A Fresno.
    Palmer has been working as a starter at Triple-A, where he's gone 6-9 with a 4.13 ERA. He has 137 strikeouts in 131 innings, but he's also allowed 70 walks. He'll be used in middle relief.
    Why Sadler wasn;t sent down after that horrible job last night is beyond me. Espineli will be seen again.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Giants Revamping Roster.......Finally!

Wow...the Giants have made a lot of moves while I've been out of town. I'm interested to see how Ishikawa does. Can't wait until September when the Giants can really commit to the "go young" plan.