Thread: Giants Want Furcal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Want Furcal

Giants not interested in trading Cain

Meantime, Rafael Furcal's camp indicated the Giants are interested in the shortstop as a leadoff hitter. If the Giants acquire a shortstop, Burriss would move to second. If they land a second baseman (such as Gold Glover Orlando Hudson, who hit third for Arizona before his wrist injury), Burriss would play short.
    Furcal made over $15 million last year and was having a MVP type season until he hurt his back which made him miss most of the season. His back will make the price go down but how much? The Giants do need a true leadoff man and SS so this does make sense. I like Hudson more because he is just as good and comes at a cheaper price. Both are risks but good risks as both men are young enough to recover. The Giants would still need to get a corner infielder with power. Furcal or Hudson shouldn't go past three years in any deal.

The article also mentions Sabean was seen talking to the agent of Bobby Howry. I hope this wasn't true or if it was, it was just that Sabean was politely saying **** off.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Want Furcal

The Los Angeles Times reports that free agent Rafael Furcal is seeking a four-year contract.
    Furcal initially seemed likely to receive only one- and two-year offers after missing most of 2008 with back problems, but enough teams have expressed interest in him that he may be able to coax a three- or even four-year deal out of someone. The Dodgers are said to be offering only two years, which is probably smart.
    The Giants must say no to a four year deal. Three years should be the maximum amount of years and even that is pushing it. Two years with an option based on games played would be as far as I go.

AAA ERA

I like both Furcal and Hudson but if I can have only one its Furcal. If healthy he can bring everything the Giants need to their infield and be the lead man in the batting order. Also he showed a lot coming back at the end of last season to try to help the Dodgers. I would love to have him but only if he proves he is healthy. If he does he can have the 4 year contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rafael Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, said the Giants have "expressed serious interest" in the free agent shortstop.
    "We've got serious interest in each other," Kinzer said. "He likes the Giants... He feels they can be competitive pretty quick." While calling the Giants anything close to "competitive" is just plain stupid, the team does have a vacancy at short. Furcal is reportedly looking for a four-year deal.
    First off, **** the author! The NL West is weak and getting weaker with guys Holliday already gone and Peavy and Manny most likely leaving. So the Giants could be just a player or four from being a "competitive" team. Secondly, a four year deal is too much. Maybe a three year with an option for a fourth based on playing time but no more. I want Furcal in this lineup but do not want to overpay in salary or in years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bay Area rivals after free agent Furcal | SFGiants.com: News

Looks like it could come down to Beane vs. Sabean.

MLB ERA

If it comes down to the Giants and A's, Furcal should pick the Giants because he gets too stay in the NL doesn't have to adjust to the AL.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rafael Furcal's agent confirmed Thursday that it will take a four-year deal to sign the shortstop.
    Agent Paul Kinzer confirmed that six teams have shown interest in Furcal: the A's, Braves, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and Orioles. Kinzer added that there's also a mystery team that has made clear its intentions to put in a serious bid.
    I think a three year deal with an option for a 4th year is all the Giants should offer. Do not overpay for this guy in years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes the A's and Giants are the favorites to sign Rafael Furcal.
    The Cubs, Braves and Orioles are also interested, and the Dodgers still hope to re-sign him. "It's moving pretty fast," Dodgers GM Ned Colletti told FOXSports.com on Friday. "I don't know if we're going to be in it or not." Furcal is expected to receive a four-year deal.
    Apparently the Giants have looked over Furcal's medical records and think his back is fully healed. Looks like it could be a coin flip on who the Giants get. Its either Furcal or Hudson and not both.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Furcal had a two hour lunch with Billy Beane today and showed him possible places to live. Looks like the Giants might have to settle for Renteria if Hudson doesn't want to play in SF.