Thread: Good News, Bad News

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Good News, Bad News

Let's start with the bad. According the mlb.com, the Giants have ramped up interest in Bobby Howry who was not offered arbitration by the Cubs meaning he will not cost any draft picks. Howry is coming off his worst year in five seasons. The only bright spot is that he won't demand a raise over his $4.5 million salary from last year where he had an ERA of 5.35. Howry is also 34 years old.

Also in the bad news but not as bad is ESPN.com thinks Renteria will be a Giants as soon as the end of the week. Guess what? I agree. Renteria is going to be cheaper than Furcal and a huge upgrade from last year. Hudson is being sought after by many teams and the Giants think they can get Renteria. Best go for the sure thing. ESPN.com also suggests the Giants could then package Burriss in a trade. Giants best hold onto Burriss and try him at second. It is not certain that Frandsen will return to form. Plus Frandsen can always try third base as a new home.

Finally, the good news. The Giants have added some more scouts with good credentials! This is from mlb.com:
    the Giants added John Castleberry, Joe Salermo, Ron Merrill and Mike Metcalf to their scouting staff. Castleberry, who becomes the Giants' Northeast scouting supervisor, signed Joey Votto, who was second in last month's National League Rookie of the Year balloting, while working for the Reds. Salermo, who assumes the role of Latin America cross-checker, worked for the Mets' scouting department when they drafted talented prospects such as Scott Kazmir, Lastings Milledge and David Wright.

AAA ERA

Re: Good News, Bad News

The bad news really sucks including the signing of Renteria. Howry will be of little use and Renteria will come here to retire. These moves suck!!
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree they aren't the best but they are huge upgrades from last year. Renteria best bring his NL #'s to AT&T. He hasn;t had a BA under .280 in the NL since 2001. I don't know what it is but Renteria's offense AND defense is far better in the NL than the AL.

1. Lewis
    2. Renteria
    3. Winn
    4. Rowand
    5. Sandoval
    6. Molina
    7. Ishikawa
    8. Burriss

That looks a lot better than last year's Opening Day Lineup

AA ERA

I think the Renteria signing for the Giants, if it happens, will be a good move depending on the salary/year(s) he will be given. And I agree with you Reefer, it's safer to go for the marginal upgrade (Renteria) that you know you can get rather than chasing the substantial upgrade (Furcal) and potentially losing out.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I agree they aren't the best but they are huge upgrades from last year. Renteria best bring his NL #'s to AT&T. He hasn;t had a BA under .280 in the NL since 2001. I don't know what it is but Renteria's offense AND defense is far better in the NL than the AL.

1. Lewis
    2. Renteria
    3. Winn
    4. Rowand
    5. Sandoval
    6. Molina
    7. Ishikawa
    8. Burriss

I know you are trying to look for the upside of things but if this is the lineup I will not be happy. Youth must be served.
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Youth is being served! Sandoval, Burriss, Lewis, Ishikawa, Burriss and Frandsen will all be keys to the offense not to mention Romo, Lincecum, Cain and Hinshaw pitching. Giants must get a big bat! The West is wide open and the Giants have no reason not to go for it, just like last year when Bochy botched it!

MLB ERA

Youth is being served! Sandoval, Burriss, Lewis, Ishikawa, Burriss and Frandsen will all be keys to the offense not to mention Romo, Lincecum, Cain and Hinshaw pitching. Giants must get a big bat! The West is wide open and the Giants have no reason not to go for it, just like last year when Bochy botched it!
    Does this imply that you think the Giants have a chance to win the division? I can't see them passing LAD and/or AZ
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If the Giants make the right moves (add more bullpen depth and a power bat) I can definitely see them contending next year. AZ, SD and COL are all cutting payroll and losing players. LAD wasn't that great last year and they have lost some keys guys. It is wide open and if Bochy and Sabean made smart decisions last year, they could have been contenders then. The NL West was weak last year and so far it has already lost Matt Holliday and on the verge of losing Jake Peavy. Jury is out on guys like Dunn, Manny, Lowe, Hudson and a few choice others.

AAA ERA

1. Lewis
    2. Renteria
    3. Winn
    4. Rowand
    5. Sandoval
    6. Molina
    7. Ishikawa
    8. Burriss

I would look for upgrades for Renteria, Rowand & Ishikawa. JMO

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

There is a rumor of the Giants shopping Rowand but I think we should hold onto him. He will be forced to move to left in a few years anyway. Only upgrade out there for Renteria is Furcal and he wants more money and more years. I agree with Ishikawa but he should get a bench job.