Thread: Giants Top Pick Wins Top Award

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Top Pick Wins Top Award

Florida State's Buster Posey won USA Baseball's Golden Spikes Award on Wednesday, becoming just the second catcher to be honored as the nation's top amateur player.

Posey, the Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year, led the NCAA in batting average (.472), on-base percentage (.572) and slugging percentage (.908). The junior led Florida State with six saves and did not give up an earned run in eight appearances.

He was the fifth overall pick by the San Francisco Giants in the June draft.

The other finalists were Georgia shortstop Gordon Beckham, Missouri pitcher Aaron Crow, San Diego pitcher Brian Matusz and Arizona State third baseman Brett Wallace.

"Each year it becomes increasingly more difficult for our selection committee to select just one athlete for the Golden Spikes Award, and 2008 was no different," said USA Baseball executive director Paul Seiler, who presented the award to Posey at the Sports Museum of America. "Buster Posey, however, separated himself from the other candidates with an exceptional year both at the plate and as a leader of his Florida State ballclub. We are honored to present him with the 2008 trophy."

The only other catcher to win the Golden Spikes Award in its 31-year history was Jason Varitek, who received it in 1994 when he was at Georgia Tech.

Last year's winner was Vanderbilt pitcher David Price, who was drafted first overall and is playing in the minor leagues for Tampa Bay.

Other notable winners of the Golden Spikes Award were Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum; Phillies outfielder Pat Burrell and All-Star game MVP J.D. Drew of the Boston Red Sox.
    Lincecum and now Posey?? Sometimes we don't give Sabean enough credit. He has been doing a great job of drafting and finally keep our picks even though his free agent signings are shit. Posey looks like the real deal but whether he continues catching is another story. The future is very bright for San Francisco and I can't wait.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Giants Top Pick Wins Top Award

I'm gonna hold you to that reefer (the not giving Sabean enough credit). We'll see how long it lasts...

Anyways, it's great to see the Giants farm system doing such a great job with these young guys. Hopefully it'll all pan out as planned. The Giants could be a force once again once they get these guys to the bigs.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Like I said, I will rip Sabean on his piss poor free agent signings of recent years but he has been doing a fantastic job with the farm. Our minor league system is one of the most winningest systems in the league. Its just the terrible Dave Roberts, Rich Aurilia, Barry Zito deals that make me/us overlook that fact. Sabean just signed a 16 yr old future Vlad Guerrero and signed a 17 yr old Angel Villanova a couple of years ago. Plus drafting guys like Wilson, Lincecum, Cain, Madison Baumgardner and now Buster Posey helps the future of this team. I am excited about the future of this franchise and considering we have played over expectations says a lot about this team.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

True, very true. If only he could handle the major league team like he handles his farm system. He's like two different people in respect to the different leagues...but hey there is a light in the tunnel after all. Should be an exciting next few years for the Giants.