Thread: Giants Should Get Sexson

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Article Giants Should Get Sexson

Richie Sexson was released today by the M's. Sexson's services would only cost $200k and the Giants should look into this. Bowker and Sexson could share time at first with Aurilia starting most of the games at third. Sexson is killing left handed pitching this season hitting .344 so he would make for a perfect platoon guy. Bowker is hitting .158 against lefties. Sexson also has 11 homeruns which would lead all Giants in that department. He could hit behind Rowand providing some protection for Aaron. The Giants need big bat in this lineup and Sexson costs next to nothing. Moving Aurilia to third full-time helps this offense just by keeping Castillo out of it. Castillo would make a good backup at third and short with Burriss helping out short and second but hopefully starting at short after the break. This makes sense to me but I may be alone on this one. If he starts to hit again, we might have a first baseman for next year.

AAA ERA

Re: Giants Should Get Sexson

This would be a great move and would cost very little to kick the tires. I say go for it!

absolutely not. richie sexon, with the exception of andruw jones, is the epitome of underperformance. at one time he would have been a great asset. i opposed the giants trying to make a move at him in the spring, and am just as adamant now. let's face it guys, the nl west isn't worth winning this year. the giants are 7 games back of the division-leading .500 baby 'backs. maybe we should stop picking up junk from everyone else's garage sale and focus on tending the crop of the farm.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sexson wouldn't be taking away much from our farm. If anything, Velez would have to be sent down to make room which is no loss whatsoever. Bowker would still get plenty of playing time against righties and Sexson would face the lefties where he is murdering them. Its only $200,000 so we aren't breaking the bank. I am just sick and tired of seeing Castillo continuously killing rallies and ending innings.

1. Lewis
    2.Durham
    3. Winn
    4. Molina
    5. Rowand
    6. Sexson/Bowker
    7. Aurilia
    8. Burriss

That makes for a much better and potent offense than the one we have now. I'm not asking Sexson to save the Giants but try and add some power to this lineup and win some ballgames. 7 games out of first is not hard to overcome with the pitching we have. We just need some offense behind it and Sexson provides a big bat in the lineup when he does play. Again, I am in favor of going with Bowker for most of the time at first and Sexson getting PT against lefties.