Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants vs Mets 6/2-6/4

MLB ERA

Game Giants vs Mets 6/2-6/4

Game 1- Perez vs Sanchez

Game 2- Zito vs Martinez

Game 3- Maine vs Cain

I think we should sweep, but 2 out of 3 seems more realistic.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants vs Mets 6/2-6/4

Mets are playing great ball right now so it will be tough. It all depends on Zito staying on the roll he has been on and the bullpen not bowing Cain's lead.

MLB ERA

True that the Mets are on a roll, but I was basing it off Perez and Martinez pitching, because Martinez is unpredictable, its his first start since his 1st start of the year, so we dont know what we are getting, either he will light it up or wont be effective, even if he does pitch well, I'm sure there is a "pitch count" for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah but we just battled the Padres and lost that series. Mets just put it to the Dodgers and they are a better than we are. I am hoping for 2 of 3 but we'll see.

MLB ERA

Keep in mind the following: Pedro may have a pitch count, but he knows how to win. Even without his best stuff he can keep a team in the game. And if Zito doesn't keep up his recent streak of successes, that game could turn ugly. Perez is very inconsistent, but could spin out a gem, no one will know. And then Maine/Cain is a great rhyme and an even better pitching matchup. I'd take 2 of 3 as a Mets fan, but realize you are facing 3 of our top 4 pitchers, and our offense is finally waking up. Just consider yourselves lucky you miss Johan...

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Random fact of the day - both Bay Area teams are going to be at home for their respective series'. The only time that's ever happened before is when the A's at the Giants or vice versa. Just thought you'd like to know.

ljshorty does have a point about Martinez knowing how to win, but I still think that with the pitch count plus the whole mental aspect about this being his first game back, I don't think he'll be good enough for a win. The Giants as a whole have been a pretty streaky team. They went from sweeping the D-backs to losing 2 of 3 to the Padres. But a little unpredictable-ness never hurt anyone, right?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pedro does know how to win but also hasn't pitched all year (sorry don't count the three innings he pitched before getting hurt). I am not expected much but do think we can take two but our bullpen is pretty tired after two extra inning games.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Giants are currently leading the Mets 6-2 in the top of the fourth. Sanchez has been pitching very well, while Perez lasted one third of an inning after allowing all six runs. Only one third of an inning. Courtesy of homers by Winn and Horwitz and RBI singles and doubles by Molina and Durham, respectively.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Thanks Brett. I just woke up after becoming very sick but feel ok now. Yeah Horwitz getting his first HR is special. Seems like our minor leaguers do very well when they first come up (Bowker, Hinshaw, Velez, Burriss, etc) Let's just hope Horwitz doesn't burn out like Bowker and Velez.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hope you feel better reefer, from one sick person to another.

Sanchez is currently at 80 pitches (50 strikes and 30 balls) through 5 1/3 innings. Hopefully he can last atleast another inning, because like you said earlier the bullpen is probably very tired.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sanchez is at 100 pitches now after six. Hopefully he can go one more to help save the bullpen but then again the meat of the order is coming up for the Mets. Some more runs would help this decision.

MLB ERA

For the record, as terrible as Perez was today, this is key news. Randolph told reporters today that he expects Pedro to be able to go 90-100 pitches tomorrow. So, not really on too much of a strict pitch count

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Seems like our minor leaguers do very well when they first come up (Bowker, Hinshaw, Velez, Burriss, etc) Let's just hope Horwitz doesn't burn out like Bowker and Velez.
    Horwitz is currently 2-for-3 with 2 RBI and a run scored. He looks pretty comfortable in his ABs.

Sanchez doubles and drvies in two runs. Wow. The Giants pitchers can really help their own cause. 8-2 now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah Horwitz has impressed and so have his minor league numbers. Makes me forget all about not calling Schierholtz up Sanchez really stepped up and is now helping save the bullpen. Lot of props from his teammates for that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Speaking of props from teammates, check this story out:

SAN FRANCISCO — Alex Hinshaw didn't envision getting his first major league victory this way.
    The rookie left-hander, who was unscored upon in eight career outings before Sunday, served up a crushing, two-run home run to Adrian Gonzalez in the top of the 10th inning.
    But the Giants rallied in the bottom of the inning for a 4-3 victory, and Hinshaw's gloom was washed away along with a beer shower that his fellow relievers staged for him in the clubhouse.
    "It wasn't just the gesture but the thought behind it,'' Hinshaw said. "Teammates pick you up, they pat you on the butt, they give you a beer shower — all the things that families do.''
    The drinks were complimentary, but Hinshaw is on the hook for dinner. He said Friday night that he owed Keiichi Yabu a steak for inducing a triple-play grounder to strand his runners.
    Now he owes Fred Lewis, whose two-run pinch triple helped turn Hinshaw's first career loss into his first career win.
    "I'm just giving out steak dinners left and right,'' Hinshaw said.
    Ah, the fun times in a big-league clubhouse.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast