Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants@Pittsburgh 5/6-5/8

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants@Pittsburgh 5/6-5/8

The Giants are coming off a great series against the Philles but only won 1 of 3. Thy had two 10 inning games and the other game came to the final at bat. The Giants fought hard in every game and I think that series made them better. The day off was needed after a series like that. Now The Giants will face the Pirates for three games and have a real chance at a sweep here. The Giants rank 6th in BA and 1st in stolen bases. Hopefully this will lead to more runs sometimes. Bochy really needs to get his head out of his ass. Durham needs to be starting as Velez has horrible numbers and made a game ending error in his last game. Bowker has had one good game in two weeks and Aurilia is starting to heat up along with Winn. Someone needs to step up in the #2 hole.

Game One- Jonathan Sanchez (2-1, 3.48 ERA) vs Zach Duke (0-2, 4.79 ERA). Sanchez has a 1.45 ERA in his last three starts and only surrendered two in his last start. Sanchez has 40 K's in 33.2 IP. Aurilia is 4-6 against Duke lifetime. Duke is coming off a good start giving up two run in seven innings.

Game Two
    - Pat Misch (0-0, 5.42 ERA) vs Phil Dumatrait (0-1, 4.74 ERA).
    Misch didn't fare so well his last start giving up four runs in 4 IP. He did manage to strike out four to keep the four theme going. Misch needs to attack the strike zone this game and keep the ball knee high unlike last game. Dumatrait is coming off a game with the exact same "four" theme as Misch. Should be interesting.

Game Three
    - Matt Cain (1-2, 4.08 ERA) vs Paul Maholm (2-3, 4.58 ERA). Cain is coming off a stellar performance going seven innings and striking out eight while walking just one. He also gave up just two runs. Cain has 37 K's to 24 BB's. Maholm was lit up in his last outing giving up seven runs in five innings.

I can see a sweep but only if Bochy stops his madness and starts playing the better second baseman and finds someone to hit in the two hole.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Giants@Pittsburgh 5/6-5/8

The only reason the Velez started that one game was because Durham was scratched due to a strained muscle (er something like that).

Oh yeah, Zito will be starting on Wednesday (so says I...and the Giants website). Apparently he has regained his mental confidence (and sanity for that matter) and will start, even without making one bullpen appearance. This means that Misch will pitch Friday in SF vs the Phillies, and Lincecum will pitch on Saturday. Cain will still pitch on Thursday though.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Holy ****ing shit!!! Bochy the retard is at it again!! Velez is starting and hitting leadoff Can anyone explain why you would bat a guy with a .262 OBP leadoff? He has been picked off and caught stealing!!! Velez should not be playing! Velez hitting .230 and Burriss hitting .258 are hitting #1 and 2. Pirates lead 3-0 after after three. Rowand has a double but is wasted in the five hole.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Thanks for the update Gurl

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its now 5-0. Sanchez is getting lit up. He has given up two HRs so far through 4 IP.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

8-0 and this sucks!! Sanchez and Hennessey are getting murdered. Hennessey should be DFA'd anytime now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

9-1 in the 7th after a ground rule double from Aurilia and a RBI double from Ortmeier. Aurilia has two hits tonight and is really starting to heat up. Maybe a lineup of

Lewis
    Winn
    Aurilia
    Rowand
    Durham
    Molina
    Ortmeier
    Burriss/Bocock

is in order.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Aurilia with a RBI single. He's 3-4 and up to .284 on the year!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Castillo homers! 12-5.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants lose 12-6. Here's what I liked since there wasn't much. Aurilia went 3-4 with a RBI. He is on a good streak here and needs to stay in the lineup. Bowker went 2-2 but only after it was 12-1 when he replaced Winn. This is when guys like Bowker should be getting playing time. A start here and there is ok but not everyday like he had been. Only in blowouts should guys like Velez and Bowker get playing time. Ortmeier went 2-4 with a RBI and showed he can start.

Things I hated: Guys with OBP under .300 occupying the one and two spot in the lineup. How are you supposed to generate runs like that? Sanchez and Hennessey coughing up 12 runs. Hennessey should be released after the game. He has been awful and owns a 12.94 ERA. I'm sure we can find someone who can do better in our system. Velez was picked off and caught stealing. Terrible!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ok so I know that Velez isn't doing such a hot job in the leadoff spot (in fact, he's absolutely terrible, but I'm trying to be optimistic here). Anyways, I think he's still in there because Bochy wants him (Velez) to iron out the wrinkles by giving him more ABs. If the guy just sits on the bench, he'll never have a chance to fix the problem. As for why he's in the leadoff spot, that I can't answer.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So far so good with Zito. He just gave up a two run blast in the 4th but has 5 K's to 1 BB. He is hitting 85 mph regularly which is good for him. I like the results so far. They moved Rowand to the third spot in the order.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Ok so I know that Velez isn't doing such a hot job in the leadoff spot (in fact, he's absolutely terrible, but I'm trying to be optimistic here). Anyways, I think he's still in there because Bochy wants him (Velez) to iron out the wrinkles by giving him more ABs. If the guy just sits on the bench, he'll never have a chance to fix the problem. As for why he's in the leadoff spot, that I can't answer.
    Velez has all season to try and iron out his wrinkles as you put it. Right now the Giants need to try and win and Durham gives them the best chance to do that. In two games, Velez was picked off, caught stealing twice and made a game ending error. Velez can come in to pinch hit late in a game and get a start every now and then but does not deserve regular playing time. He's fast, just not that good right now. Burriss is playing second now. Durham better be really hurt.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ortmeier gets a leadoff, pinch hit double in the 6th and its wasted. Two strikeouts and a swinging bunt later, the Bucs are going to hit.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    How are you supposed to generate runs like that? Sanchez and Hennessey coughing up 12 runs. Hennessey should be released after the game. He has been awful and owns a 12.94 ERA. I'm sure we can find someone who can do better in our system.
    Well you got your wish...Hennessey was demoted before tonite's game. A guy by the name of Billy Sadler (1.13 ERA, .138 opponent's BA) was called up to take his place.

And as for Velez, I agree that although ABs will allow him to iron out his problems, he needs to become a smart baserunner before resuming any leadoff duties. You can't just run wild out there. Well, you can, but don't tell him that.

Zito really impressed me today. Definately not as bad as I thought. 5 IP, 2 ER, 5 Ks, and 2 BBs. Not too shabby compared to all the other stats he's turned in for you guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast