Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Six-Man Rotation?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants A Six-Man Rotation?

With Noah Lowry expected back in May, the Giants are considering a six-man rotation.
    "It's something we talked about in the spring, and we'll continue to discuss it," manager Bruce Bochy said Friday. GM Brian Sabean said on his weekly radio show that he likes the idea because it will "protect the young guns." The Giants will have five starters under the age of 25 when Lowry returns. Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Jonathan Sanchez, and Kevin Correia are all under 25 and in the rotation right now. This situation makes Barry Zito's contract seem even more ridiculous. At least the young guys have some upside.
    Say it isn't so Sabean! Someone will have to go and help our pathetic bullpen and it will be either Sanchez or Correia. A six man rotation throws people off their routine. We don't need to be protecting our young guys, we should be getting them innings to be used to a MLB season. Giants did the right thing by shutting down Lincecum in September last year but now he knows how to prepare for a whole season. Pitchers need to throw as much as possible to keep their arms strong and mechanics intact. The only way I could see the six man rotation working is to ease Lowry back in for a couple of weeks. After that, things have to go back to normal. I find this to be a horrible idea.

AAA ERA

Re: A Six-Man Rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Say it isn't so Sabean! Someone will have to go and help our pathetic bullpen and it will be either Sanchez or Correia. A six man rotation throws people off their routine. We don't need to be protecting our young guys, we should be getting them innings to be used to a MLB season. Giants did the right thing by shutting down Lincecum in September last year but now he knows how to prepare for a whole season. Pitchers need to throw as much as possible to keep their arms strong and mechanics intact. The only way I could see the six man rotation working is to ease Lowry back in for a couple of weeks. After that, things have to go back to normal. I find this to be a horrible idea.

I have no problem with a six man rotation. Where is it written that it will throw people off their routine, and that a five man rotation is normal? A five man rotation is what we are use too but that does not make it normal anymore than the old four man rotation was normal. What the Giants need to do is get all these kids work and build a strong rotation. The next problem they need to deal with is what to do with Zito. Now here is a problem!

Cain, Lincecum, Lowry, Sanchez, Correia, Zito....hmmm....if there isn't a pitching staff in there, i don't know what. the giants are really struggling right now out of the pen. clearly, with this kind of overstaffing of young starters, why not run them out and get some long relief out of them? lord knows zito's only good for 3-4 innings before he gets blown out of the water anyway. a six-man rotation would simply be wasting the young talent. let sanchez and correia work out a bit more, get some innings under the belt, and slowly realise their roles on the club. at least that way, if they truly are ready for the spotlight, they'll serve as damage control for the lack of offense.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It's not written anywhere but pitchers have certain routines and different ways are preparing for games. This would simply kill every routine and most pitchers don't like long layoffs in between starts. We need for one of these starters to help in this bullpen.

AAA ERA

It's not written anywhere but pitchers have certain routines and different ways are preparing for games. This would simply kill every routine and most pitchers don't like long layoffs in between starts. We need for one of these starters to help in this bullpen.

No if we are honest we need to admit are mistake and get rid of Zito.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Getting rid of Zito is next to impossible.

AAA ERA

Getting rid of Zito is next to impossible.
    Ask the Diamondbacks and Russ Ortiz about that..

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ortiz had one year left, not five years with the average salary of $18.5 mil.

AAA ERA

I believe some team out there thinks he is worth 40 MIL. We pick-up the rest. You have to pay for your mistakes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He has to win a game first

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I believe some team out there thinks he is worth 40 MIL. We pick-up the rest. You have to pay for your mistakes.
    There are some stupid GMs but...I don't think any are that stupid,.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    There are some stupid GMs but...I don't think any are that stupid,.
    Yeah and Cashman is one of them, Zito only got that deal because of the Yankees signing Pettitte to 16m.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The only way Zito go that deal was because Sabean was dumb enough to give it to him. The Giants outbid themselves and by a lot!!

AAA ERA

Reefer, I know for a fact that Sabean had nothing to do with the Zito deal. Sabean is a dumb ass, and has done enough to the Giants over the years to warrant your dislike, but the Zito deal was not him. Look to the top of the food chain, and that is where the blame belongs. Ownership!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm sorry but Sabean did have a lot to do with it! Maybe it was Magowan pressuring him but it wasn't Magowan negotiating the deal. Sabean was the one on the front lines and he was the one bidding against himself. The next highest offer for Zito was at $96 mil. There is no excusing Sabean from this terrible deal! Magowan wasn't doing the talking and wasn't face to face with Scott Boras selling him on SF. Everyone in that front office was responsible since they are all part of the team. They bid against themselves and now we are paying for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast