Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giants Home Opener: Friars@San Francisco 4/7-4/9

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Home Opener: Friars@San Francisco 4/7-4/9

The Giants are off to a bad start heading home with a 1-5 record. The Giants leadoff men (starters only) are a combined 3-20. Can't win too many games like that. Hopefully the Giants can turn things around against the Padres at home. Thank goodness we don't face Peavy!

Game One- Greg Maddux vs Matt Cain. Cain went 5 2/3 IP with 4 walks and 5 SO's in a no-decision. He has go to do a better job with his command and this is the year it should happen. Cain owns a career 3-3 record against the Friars with a 2.07 ERA and 73 SOs in 74 IP.

Game Two- Randy Wolf vs Tim Lincecum. Lincecum had a strange first game when he was scratched due to the rain but came in as a reliever. He went 4 innings and gave up a run. Tim got the win and had 4 BBs and 4 SOs. Lincecum has a 0-1 record against the Pads with a 2.07 ERA and 13 SOs in 13/1 IP. Wolf gave us a hard time last year.

Game Three
    - Justin Germano vs Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez sucked balls against a good offensive team in his last start. Sanchez gave up 7 runs in 4 IP but did have 8 SOs. He has got to get his act together if he wants to stay in this rotation. Sanchez owns a 3.12 ERA against the Padres.

All three pitchers have damn good ERAs versus the Padres so hopefully the Giants can win the first series at home.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Home Opener: Friars@San Francisco 4/7-4/9

Rowand is starting today.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

2-1 right now after 1 with Rowand doubling and Molina driving him. We actually had a leadoff man aboard only to ground into a double play. Aurilia is hitting 7th which is a good sign Bochy is alive. Cain is already erratic so it looks like another five inning outing for Cain.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

5-1 in the 5th with Cain continuing to be wild. He is up to 92 pitches as I type and only 56 were strikes. Castillo made a costly error at third. Now a wild pitch. Righetti has to help do something about his control.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cain couldn't even get 5 innings!! Yabu replaced him and got a bases loaded double play. 5 runs, 5 walks and 5 strikeouts for Cain. Not good at all!

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Cain couldn't even get 5 innings!! Yabu replaced him and got a bases loaded double play. 5 runs, 5 walks and 5 strikeouts for Cain. Not good at all!
    For all the talk about the Giants "great young pitching staff" I'm sorry I jsut don't see it.

These guys are routinely going out and giving up 4,5,6 runs in the first 4 innings. With our lousy batting order we're not going to win many games like that.

While I love Matt Cain he's gonna have to pitch better and stop reading his press clippings.

...and if the Bear comes on here and tells me the pitching is great I'm gonna go down to the Bay Area and kick his ass.

Yeah this is going to be a long year. I have no doubts now that the Giants are the worst team in MLB.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I do have to bring up it is only his second start of the year and Cain didn't give up a run in his first start but this was an awful outing. He was all over the place. Wilson was lit up too. Shitty home opener but at least Molina did provide offense out of the cleanup spot. Hopefully Lincecum can fare better and go deep into a game. Maybe the leadoff man will show up.

AAA ERA

The Giants sucked today. Cain look like a batting practice pitcher and there is not a great hitter in the line-up. It is like the supporting cast looking for a star, any star. What the Giants need to get is there will not be a star until one of them steps up and takes the role. Look for this to be a very long season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Look for this to be a very long season.
    Duh.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by SF Kid View Post
    Duh.

And then there is the Kid, another reason this will be a long season.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

JMO, but I think there was a lot of pressure on Cain to pitch well. It was the home opener against division rivals, and he was given the ball over a certain $126 mil someone. Mentally that can wreak havoc, especially since he doesn't have many seasons under his belt. That being said, I was expecting better from him. Here's to hoping Lincecum can reverse things and produce a W.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Zito got the Opening Day start, Cain got the home opener. Cain has got to realize that the Giants are relying on him to be the ace and start getting ahead of hitters.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Zito got the Opening Day start, Cain got the home opener. Cain has got to realize that the Giants are relying on him to be the ace and start getting ahead of hitters.
    You are correct. They Giants are paying him millions to pitch so he needs to grow up. This is not high school. This is the real world, and he is in the majors. Pitch and stop making excuses.

when you're in a tied ballgame, and you have a runner on second base with nobody out, i don't care who the f*ck you are, you bunt the g-damn baseball. end of story. how randy winn was allowed to swing away is beyond me. snake-bit play my @$$. more like snake-bit managing. f*cking bocci-ball.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast