Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Injury Report

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants 2008 Injury Report

This thread is dedicated to the injuries of the 2008 SF Giants. 2008 is already starting off on a bad note.

Giants placed shortstop Omar Vizquel on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 21, following left knee surgery. Vizquel hopes to return on April 7.

Kevin Frandsen is on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 21, with a torn left Achilles' tendon. Frandsen is expected to miss the entire season following surgery. Why only the 15-day DL I have no idea.

Noah Lowry is on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 21, following left forearm surgery. He could return three or four weeks into the season.

Vinnie Chulk on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 21, with a right shoulder strain. He needs to come back 100% because sadly he is one of our better relievers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2008 Injury Report

Noah Lowry is still a week to 10 days away from throwing off a mound following forearm surgery.
    There's been no word from the Giants what has backed up his timetable, but there's no chance of him returning during April now. The initial reports had him scheduled to resume mound work two or three weeks following surgery March 7.

Omar Vizquel was scratched from the lineup at Single-A San Jose because of soreness in his surgically-repaired knee.
    If Sanchez's first outing were any sign of things to come, Lowry can't come back soon enough. Just get a full recovery and do not rush things. Vizquel's bat is not being missed and neither is his defense right now. Take your time too! Sometimes I miss Stan Conte a lot!!

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    If Sanchez's first outing were any sign of things to come, Lowry can't come back soon enough. Just get a full recovery and do not rush things. Vizquel's bat is not being missed and neither is his defense right now. Take your time too! Sometimes I miss Stan Conte a lot!!

I would make it clear to Jonathan Sanchez that if this is the best he can do at this point in his career, his time with the Giants is running out, and that other teams will have less patience with him further down the road.

I am not that sure that Lowry is the answer either. Time will tell.

And I will never miss Stan Conte.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why won't you miss Stan Conte?

AAA ERA

He went to the Dodgers and I did not think he did anything special for the Giants. No big deal.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reefer, Stan Conte is the same useless tool who couldn't even open his mouth and warn Colletti that Jason Schmidt was damaged goods before he was signed to a 3-year contract.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Reefer, Stan Conte is the same useless tool who couldn't even open his mouth and warn Colletti that Jason Schmidt was damaged goods before he was signed to a 3-year contract.
    On this matter you are 100% correct. Schmidt was damaged goods and Conte knew or should have known and informed the Dodgers. I can't say it bothers me that Schmidt is a Dodger but I do feel sorry for Colletti who I admire.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The San Francisco Chronicle reports Dave Roberts could end up needing surgery on his left knee.
    Roberts' inflamed knee has been bothering him for weeks, and he was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday. He'll undergo further tests to determine whether surgery is necessary.
    This is good and bad. As someone who had to go through three knee surgeries last year in the span of two months, that blows for Roberts. On the flip side, it provides more ABs for Lewis and Davis who are struggling. Someone has to emerge as a leadoff hitter. Randy Winn was hitting there last night.
    Vinnie Chulk pitched two innings in a simulated game on Tuesday.
    He finished having thrown 36 pitches. Chulk said he was ready to be activated, but manager Bruce Bochy said he'll make another rehab start before returning.
    We need him badly after the bad starts from Wilson and Hennessey.

AAA ERA

The fact that one of the older players will be out I think will be one of the constant story lines of 2008. When this happens one can just hope a young player will step up and take the position full time. As far a Chulk goes I hope he never comes back as I see him taking time for a young pitchers development. I say trade or release this guy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Re: 2008 Injury Report

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I say trade or release this guy.
    My sentiments about Hennessey.

AAA ERA

My sentiments about Hennessey.
    You will hear no argument from me on that. He is never going to be any help to the Giants.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This is good and bad. As someone who had to go through three knee surgeries last year in the span of two months, that blows for Roberts. On the flip side, it provides more ABs for Lewis and Davis who are struggling. Someone has to emerge as a leadoff hitter. Randy Winn was hitting there last night.
    It was stated in my local paper that there is a 90% chance Roberts will have surgery, which will sideline him for 4-6 weeks. As for the whole leadoff situation, Bochy said in an interview that Velez, Lewis, and Davis will split those duties, though Bochy hinted that Velez will get the most time at the top of the order. Hopefully it all works out.

AAA ERA

By the time Roberts comes back his time with the Giants maybe over. This will give one of the young guys a real chance and it is my hope that one of them makes it impossible to play Roberts at all. I see the trading Roberts or just releasing him

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That's what I was figuring. This guy's been through a heckuva lot injury wise, and if the Giants are really in a "rebuilding mode", I think it would be in their best interest to just cut ties with him. Lewis and Davis have the talent, it's just very rough, and the only way to polish them up is to give them playing time, which Roberts' injury should do.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

X-rays on Aaron Rowand's ribs have been deemed "inconclusive" by the Giants.
    Rowand is 2-for-12 since returning from the injury, and also dropped an easy ball in the outfield on Wednesday night. The Mercury News speculates that he could be playing with a fractured rib, just as he did while a rookie with the White Sox in 2001.
    If this is a problem, fix it now! No need to let Rowand keep playing if he isn't 100%. Allow him time to get to 100% and earn his ****ing paycheck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast