Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2008 Injury Report

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2008 Injury Report

Merkin Valdez (elbow) experienced a setback in his recovery and is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam Wednesday.
    Valdez looked close to returning, but was scratched from a scheduled minor league rehab appearance Monday because of tightness in his surgically repaired elbow.
    Not good news. I was really looking forward to his return. This teams needs him badly so hopefully this isn't anything too serious.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dave Roberts (knee) is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Monday at Triple-A Fresno.
    Manager Bruce Bochy said Roberts will need 40-50 at-bats before he's ready to come off the disabled list. That puts his return at about one week after the All-Star break.

Dan Ortmeier (finger) will begin a rehab assignment Sunday with Single-A San Jose.
    Ortmeier was put on the DL May 31 after breaking his middle finger. He'll probably spend two weeks in the minors.

Merkin Valdez (elbow strain) threw a successful bullpen session Saturday and will begin a rehab assignment in the upcoming week.
    Valdez was placed on the disabled list May 15 after injuring his elbow. If the rehab assignment goes well, he should return shortly after the All-Star break.
    Giants need to take it slow with Valdez, He will be key in any attempts to make a run after the All-Star break. I have a feeling Roberts is going to make a mess once he come back. Bochy will feel obligated to play him more than he should. I don't know where Ortmeier fits when he comes back.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Merkin Valdez (elbow) has suffered another setback in his recovery and won't begin a minor league rehab assignment as scheduled this week.

Valdez complained of soreness Tuesday. "We're going to have to find out what's going on," manager Bruce Bochy said.

The Giants are expected to make a decision on whether Noah Lowry (arm) should attempt to start throwing again.

Lowry hasn't pitched in a month since feeling tingling in his surgically repaired left arm. "He feels good. He's getting stronger," head trainer Dave Groeschner said. "We're going to bring him back after the break and talk about whether he can play catch or not. I know he wants to. We'll see where his strength is."

Dave Roberts has gone 3-for-9 with a double, a triple, a homer and three RBI in the first three games of his minor league rehab assignment.

The strong start could have Roberts back sooner than the original estimate, which saw him needing 40-50 at-bats in the minors. Still, team sources tell the San Francisco Chronicle that Roberts won't be inserted back into left field over Fred Davis, but will instead be used as a left-handed bat off the bench.
    Valdez needs to be shut down for a month or so. Let him get his strenght back and take it slow. Valdez looks like a promising setup guy for the Giants.

Lowry is a crap shoot. I don't know what to think but no one is counting on him making it back this season. Hopefully he can rebound next year and be our fifth starter.

Roberts as the 4th OFer is his best option but hopefully he can make a full recovery, kick ass in the minors and the Gianst can trade him off to a team needed his services.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants placed RHP Keiichi Yabu on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right middle finger.
    Yabu has a 3.64 ERA as a middle reliever for the Giants this season. Osiris Matos and Sergio Romo will take over his innings.

Giants purchased the contract of LHP Geno Espineli from Triple-A Fresno.
    Espinelli had a 2.06 ERA in 52 1/3 innings as a reliever for Fresno. His stuff is subpar, but he's skilled at inducing grounders from left-handed hitters. He'll need to keep doing that if he's going to have a career in the majors.
    Yabu has been a diamond in the rough this season and shocked the hell out of me. I didn't think for a second he would even make this team out of Spring Training. I also think some time off will do him good entering these dogs days of summer. I am excited to see another player make another MLB debut with this Espineli guy. He was named to the Olympic team and with Taschner gone and Yabu down, the Giants need another reliever.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Fred Lewis sat out Sunday's game because of "continuing pain from a bunion."

Lewis is expected to play through the bunion, because surgery would require up to eight months on the sidelines. The newspaper notes that Lewis' uncertain status may cause the Giants to rush Dave Roberts back from the disabled list, with his return coming as soon as Tuesday.
    It just keeps getting worse for the Giants who look to fall back into last place after losing Durham, one of the team's best hitters. Now Lewis is playing through pain and the Giants have no real everyday backup OFers. Velez has no business playing out there. I would love to Schierholtz come up to stay if Lewis cannot play everyday. Roberts can be the fifth OFer while the Giants send down one of the many infielders they have now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

"The thick, reddish scar runs vertically along the back of Kevin Frandsen's left leg, maybe five inches in length, beginning at his ankle and heading toward his calf. The evidence of the surgery to repair his ruptured Achilles' tendon looks ugly. "Actually I think it's kind of pretty," he said. "It's a nice, long one." Frandsen was stretched out on a trainer's table. Seven hours before a Giants game and already he was at AT"
    Rumor is Frandsen could return in September but I hope they don't rush him. I want to see him starting at second over Velez next season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jonathan Sanchez has been placed on the 15 day DL with a strained left shoulder. Sanchez has pitched more innings this year than ever before so it will be good to give him a break. Problem is we don't have anyone to replace him. Sanchez has really struggled since the AS break. Hopefully he can return at close to full strength and help the Giants play spoiler.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Noah Lowry (forearm) could throw off a mound in the next week.
    He hasn't experienced any pain while throwing off flat ground, and is anxious to throw off a mound, but the Giants are wisely taking things slow with him. He'll be examined by a doctor in the next day or two, at which point the team will decide when he'll be ready to throw off a mound and if he might make an appearance this season.
    Save him for next year. Giants will having money coming off the books and can possibly provide an offense behind him. Giants definitely missed him this year but no need rushing anything.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234