Merkin Valdez's comeback bid from elbow surgery for San Francisco is generating lots of interest from other teams eager to acquire him.

He's staying put.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the right-hander is set to earn a roster spot for opening day as one of the Giants' 12 pitchers. He is out of options and San Francisco isn't about to let him get away now - the club has invested plenty in the 26-year-old Dominican's health and future and he's pitching like his old self again.

"He's upped his stock," pitching coach Dave Righetti said Sunday. "He's back on the radar big-time."

Teams from around the Cactus League have been calling about Valdez, who missed the 2007 season recovering from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, and scouts are talking about him.

When the Giants got Valdez in a trade with the Braves in December 2002 that sent Russ Ortiz to Atlanta, he was considered one of the organization's top prospects. Then the elbow problem derailed what might have been a rapid ascent to the majors.

Valdez is looking forward rather than thinking back to the times during his rehabilitation when he had his doubts as to whether he would ever return to his former hard-throwing self. He's been working hard to develop his changeup and splitter.

"My arm feels great and every day I feel better and better," Valdez said before Sunday's split-squad game against the Angels. "Every day I keep working hard. The most important thing is that I throw strikes and keep the ball down. Things can happen when you throw strikes."

In 2006, Valdez was moved into a full-time relief role for Triple-A Fresno and struggled. He went 0-4 with five saves and a 5.86 ERA in 47 games but still struck out 50 batters in 50 2-3 innings.

For now, the Giants are committed to using him as a one-inning option late in games. The 6-foot-5 Valdez is 1-0 with a 5.63 ERA, six strikeouts and three walks in seven exhibition outings.

"He's thrown the ball well," manager Bruce Bochy said.

Valdez has not allowed a run in five of his seven spring games. He has only had one off performance, when he gave up four earned runs in one inning March 10 at Kansas City.

"The biggest thing we've seen from him is his delivery is better than it's ever been," Righetti said. "That's something we wanted him to do years ago. It might be he did it now because he had arm problems and wanted to get his career back. He looks good. He's throwing the ball downhill and has better command of his breaking ball."

Righetti is taking "baby steps" with Valdez, but also is eager to use him in some pressure situations late in games with runners on base to see how he handles such challenges. Righetti has seen that Valdez is carrying himself with more confidence and maturity.

"He's found a niche for himself," Righetti said.

Valdez isn't worried about the other teams that might want him. He would rather stick around and show his San Francisco teammates that he's back.

He pitched in instructional league last fall and then pitched winter league ball back home in the Dominican, allowing three earned runs in 7 1-3 innings for a 3.68 ERA in eight relief outings.

"I just think about doing my job," Valdez said. "In my mind I wondered if I would be back. I was in the Dominican Republic and throwing my sides. Now, I feel healthy. I don't feel any pain. I feel the same again."
After years and years of hyping this guy up, he might actually deliver. His only Major League experience came in 2004 when he appeared in two games and gave up five runs. The Giants have invested a lot in him and so maybe it will finally pay off if he can be quality reliever. Valdez is likely to join Walker, Wilson, Taschner, Misch and Hennessey in the bullpen. Kline is a good candidate to be traded.