Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training News & Notes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Spring Training News & Notes

Alas, Spring Training is here and the Giants seem to embracing the post-Bonds era with a "Warrior Spirit", their new team slogan for the year. Most of the younger guys feel like the can be more relaxed without Bonds' presence in the locker room and on the field. That takes nothing away from Bonds but we all know Bonds was a hard ass and seemed anti-fun and all work. Not this year. Giants seemed more relaxed and more energetic looking forward to a new year with a lot of questions. Where's the offense going to come from? Who will be the fifth starter? One question that was answered today was our closer was going to be. Brian Wilson is our man. Here are some more news and notes so far from Spring Training.

- Steve Kline lost 40 lbs and is now at 220. This coming after his worst year as a Giant.
    - Jonathan Sanchez is coming into ST prepared as a starter and reliever.
    - Bochy was impressed with Merkin Valdez's mechanics in his first bullpen session. Valdez missed all of last year recovering from Tommy Jophn surgery.
    - Tim Lincecum was not allowed to throw off a mound all offseason so he was a little rusty in his first throwing session.
    - Jonathan Sanchez is being pursued more than Noah Lowry.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Spring Training News & Notes

I heard that Durham thinks that he won't lose his position to Fransden. Seemed pretty confident too. And contrary to what you heard about Sanchez and Lowry, I heard Lowry was being pursued more (CWS and Crede).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

AL Gm's think Lowry would get killed in the AL, especially in the AL Central. Teams are looking at Sanchez more because he is a strike out guy and can be used as a starter and reliever. Lowry for Crede are just rumors. Sabean is the one saying Sanchez is being pursued more.

MLB ERA

I rather trade Sanchez instead of Lowry, we need to keep Lowry!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree. Rowand is really talking up Crede to Giants management. Sabean has been asking Rowand about Crede's character and work ethic. Looks like we are going to make a move and Sanchez is the likely target. I read on foxsports.com that Fred Lewis might be a possibility for Crede but I'm not buying that one. Inge is still a possibility if Crede doesn't fare well in ST. I would like to see us keep Sanchez because he might just win the fifth starter job and gives us three lefties in the rotation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Eugenio Velez is going into camp hoping to make the team as a utility man. He will play SS, 2b, 3b and OF. Velez showcased his amazing speed last September and really impressed me. Speed seems to be all we have in regards to offense.

17 year old Angel Villalona is possibly going to be moved from third to first base. Giants think he will do better as a first baseman and has a good build for it. J.T Snow saw him hit and this is what he had to say. "I've never seen a 17-year-old kid hit the ball like that. Very impressive."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants prospect John Bowker has been taking groundballs at first base. Bowker hit .307 with 22 HRs and 90 RBI in AA as an OFer last season. He is a lefty which makes it very unlikely that he will platoon with Ortmeier who is also a lefty.

Bengie Molina, Rich Aurilia and Omar Vizquel have all sustained minor injuries that have held them back for their normal schedules.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants are planning on an 11-man pitching staff instead of the usual 12.

Kevin Frandsen will be taking over at SS until Omar Vizquel comes back from surgery.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Randy Winn homered in his first AB of the year off Ryan Dempster.

Not a good first start for Noah Lowry as he gives up three runs in 1.1 IP, walking three and throwing two wild pitches. I'm not worried about Lowry's stuff this spring like I was last spring when I was screaming for him to start the year in AAA to work things out. Lowry just needs to work on staying healthy and locating his fastball more effectively, much like Zito.

Fifth starter candidate Kevin Correia didn't fare any better than Lowry. Correia gave up five runs and seven hits in one inning pitched.

Brian Wilson had a perfect ninth and Brad Hennessey gave up two runs in two innings pitched.

Ray Durham had a MRI taken on his right shoulder. Looks like Frandsen is missing valuable time at second now.

Aaron Rowand
    went 2-2 in his Giants debut. We better see that all year buddy!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Lowry walked 9 batters today.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That's 12 in two starts. He was like this last year. I guess he just needs more time to get his mechanics down.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Noah Lowry has tendinitis between his left thumb and wrist which explains his rocky start. Lowry will not throw for the next 3-4 days.

Matt Cain threw three scoreless innings in his first start while striking out two.

Aaron Rowand and Rich Aurilia hit back to back homeruns today, their firsts of the spring.

Kevin Correia threw three scoreless innings in his second game of the spring. Correia gave up four earned in one inning his first game. Correia probably has the leg up on Jonathan Sanchez who continues to struggle.

Eliezer Alfonzo is 0-15 so far this spring. Not a good start for our backup cacther.

Travis Denker
    is turning heads this spring. Denker was acquired from the Dodgers in the Mark Sweeney trade last season. I guess Colletti owed Sabean a favor. Denker hasn't played above A ball but is hitting the ball hard and has a .385/.429/.692 through five games playing second and third base.

Eugenio Velez has five stolen bases in six games.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Noah Lowry = the Spring Training Rick Ankiel
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Minus the HGH.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Noah Lowry = the Spring Training Rick Ankiel
    Thats probably one of the dumbest comment I have ever read, besides comments from retards like DK and PFF.

He's struggling this ST, its not like he does this every ****ing year like Ankiel and forced to switch positions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast