Thread: Giants Aggressively Pursuing Cabrera

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Aggressively Pursuing Cabrera

A source told the San Francisco Chronicle that the Giants have been one of the most aggressive teams pursuing Miguel Cabrera.
    If they're willing to part with either Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum, they can put together a package to rival those of the Dodgers and Angels. Still, they're short of quality position players to offer up. Third baseman Angel Villalona, who is far and away their top position prospect, is just 17 and is a few years away from becoming a quality big leaguer.
    If this is true, I have mixed feelings. If I had to choose which one of Lincecum or Cain stays, it would be Cain. This guy is a future CY winner and has no hit stuff. I do not want to see Lincecum go but if it can get us a pure hitter with power for years to come, I am for it. Cabrera is only 24 years old and one of the best hitters in the game, Lincecum is 23. But if we are giving up a future star, Cabrera has got to stick to some kind of diet or have a set playing weight. I do not want him to keep ballooning like he is. The Giants have enough money to go sign another starter and another bat to put alongside Cabrera. More importantly, this means no more Feliz!!!
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 11-16-2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: misspelled word

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Aggressively Pursuing Cabrera

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal says the Dodgers are back in the lead in the race for Miguel Cabrera.
    Rosenthal says the Angels and White Sox could both still be in the hunt after Monday's trade. He doesn't mention the Giants, who were reported Friday to be aggressively pursuing Cabrera. According to Rosenthal, the Marlins want Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw and Andy LaRoche for Cabrera. That'd be an extremely high price to pay, and it's hard to see the Angels matching that offer. Jered Weaver and Nick Adenhart are very valuable, but Kershaw trumps both.
    I guess the Giants have backed off not wanting to give up Villanova and Lincecum or maybe we didn't have the right pieces. I would love to steal him away from the Dodgers.

MLB ERA

Will his trade value drop a little since he's has gained weight?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reports are saying his is losing weight this offseason. I'm sure GMs are taking that into account and watching his weight.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Though he has denied the rumors previously, there is still the belief that San Francisco Giants GM Brian Sabean is attempting to acquire Florida Marlins third baseman Miguel Cabrera and is willing to offer a package that could include prized righthander Tim Lincecum according to the Boston Globe.

The Giants are in obvious need of a draw with Barry Bonds gone. They are looking for a centerpiece in their lineup, and the feeling is, why not build around the 24-year-old Cabrera?
    It does make sense for the Giants to trade one 24 yr old for another 24 yr old. The more I think about this, the more I want it to happen. Lincecum will turn out great but Cabrera is already great. He averages 31 homers, 118 RBI and a .313 BA. The Giants can trade for him and put him at third for now, LF or try him at first. After they trade for him they can work at a five or six year deal and have a weight clause in it to make sure he gets back in shape. The Giants need Cabrera and another bat to protect him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I found this on rotoworld.com and found it interesting. It who and what they think will get in a trade for Cabrera.

Miguel Cabrera (Marlins) - Hall of Fame-type talents don't usually come available at age 24, but Cabrera can be had in return for three or four top youngsters. Since he's going to make about $25 million in arbitration the next two years and then become a free agent, the Marlins might have to lessen their asking price just a bit. It doesn't help that teams are quite wary about Cabrera's weight gain and defense at third base. He makes more sense at first right now, though he could probably handle left field okay. He's just entering his prime on offense and should turn in his first 40-homer season in 2008 or 2009. The Angels, Dodgers and Giants appear to be the top candidates to land him, with the Red Sox potentially coming out of the shadows if they don't re-sign Mike Lowell.

Possibilities
    To Angels for 3B Brandon Wood, RHP Nick Adenhart, C Jeff Mathis and RHP Jose Arredondo
    To Angels for 2B Howie Kendrick, RHP Ervin Santana and C Jeff Mathis
    To Dodgers for LHP Clayton Kershaw, OF Matt Kemp and 2B Tony Abreu
    To Giants for RHP Tim Lincecum, 3B Angel Villalona and LHP Jonathan Sanchez
    To Red Sox for OF Jacoby Ellsbury, LHP Jon Lester and 2B Jed Lowrie
    To White Sox for LHP John Danks, 3B/OF Josh Fields and LHP Gio Gonzalez

Prediction - Traded to Angels
    The Dodgers and Angels certainly have better pieces which is why I think the Giants should and could throw in another player. Villalona is just 17 years old but is supposed to be a stud. He better be since the Giants gave a 16 year old a $2.1 mil signing bonus. He could be the real deal but Cabrera has already shown he is a baby Manny Ramirez. Lincecum showed that he has the stuff to be a ace pitcher like Oswalt but like with many young arms these days, he is a risk to stay healthy. Giants did well to sit him at the end of last seasons and the Marlins know that. Sanchez had a rough second year but is still young and can be a quality reliever or a good arm in the back of the rotation. The Giants should throw in another player just to get ahead of the Dodgers and Angels. The Giants need his bat. The Giants should offer someone like a Fred Lewis or Aurilia or even Alfonzo. The Marlins need a catcher and Alfonzo can help in that department which is why I bring that up. Lewis is a good athletic OFer who can play CF where the Marlins need help as well. Aurilia would be a salary dump for the Giants who would be gaining Cabrera's heftier salary plus he can help at 1B and 3B. I think the Giants need to pull the trigger on a deal like this before the Winter Meetings.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The second baseball executive in two days questioned the Marlins, saying their trade demands for All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera are unrealistic.
    ''I hate to speak to somebody else's business, but you wonder if they really want to trade the player or if they absolutely, positively have to win the deal in such a one-sided fashion,'' San Francisco Giants general manager Brian Sabean said during a conference call Thursday with reporters. ``Maybe they're not going to get something done. I don't know.''
    Not an encouraging sign here. Looks like Cabrera talks are going to stop for now.

MLB ERA

After 2 CY and a WS with Lincecum and Cain, and couple of DUI's by Cabrera I'm glad this trade didn't happen!!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Good lord!! Why did you bump this one? I completely forgot about this and soooo glad it never happen. I look like a fucking moron after reading those posts!! What the fuck was I thinking?? I must have been severely high in November of '07!!