Thread: Hawkins the Giant

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hawkins the Giant

Brian Sabean got us Latroy Hawkins for Jerome Williams and David Aardsma. Hawkins is coming to a much better situation than what he had in Chicago. He is coming to a better team and pitching as the setup man where he excels. Williams has been struggling in Fresno and I don't think he recovered from his surgery. 1-4 with a 9.36 ERA isn't gonna cut it. Aarsdma was in Double A starting games and getting more work in. He is still working on a changeup and breaking ball. It is hard to believe that Williams is gone after he helped out so much in 2003 and had a good year last year til he was hurt. That being said, I think we got the better of the deal. Hawkins can come to SF where he can relax and be an 8th inning guy and the Cubs get two pitchers who need work. I can't believe the Cubs didn't take one of our OFers in the deal. Torcato, Linden, or Tucker could habe helped out in LF for them. Dubois is back but they still need help.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wow, the Giants gave up on Jerome Williams, whom a lot of people thought was gonna be a stud. If Aardsma is projected to be a big league closer, why is he starting games in AA?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good trade for the Giants here. I had heard rumors of the Reds getting Hawkins, but I am sure we can put that to rest for now. The Cubs may benefit from getting Williams later on in the season or else in 2006. I just don't think that this helps them for the now. Hopefully Hawkins can get it together in a setup role for you guys. Congrats on the trade.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Wow, the Giants gave up on Jerome Williams, whom a lot of people thought was gonna be a stud. If Aardsma is projected to be a big league closer, why is he starting games in AA?
    Giants felt that Williams was not gonna help us this year. Aardsma was just getting innings in starting games. This might be an indication that Foppert and Cain are almost ready. Hennessey has done ok for us as a starter. This might also be like a Kurt Ainsworth trade.

AA ERA
    Hawkins will be solid for you guys... he needed to get away from Chicago...

Will be interesting to see how the 2 pitchers do in Chicago's organization.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Hawkins pitched lights out in his Giants debut. He had the only 1-2-3 inning for them in Sunday night's game.