Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

Why wait any longer since that's pretty much what we have been thinking since July? After a disaster of a season in which for the third season in a row we go under .500, the Giants can finally look forward without having to worry about Barry Bonds. They outbid themselves last year and were not going to do it again. The Giants have to strip this team and start the post-Bonds era off right. Vizquel, Feliz, Roberts, Durham and Hennessey have got to go. Feliz and Vizquel still play great defense but we have got to generate some offense some where. The Giants have not had a player hit 30+ HRs or a guy drive in 100 in the past three seasons. It's not just a coincidence that we have been under .500 those same three seasons. We have got to have big bats in our lineup in this pitching rich division. The Dodgers and Padres don't have big bats either but the Rockies do and they score runs in bunches. The Giants do have speed even with or without Roberts. Our main problems are relief pitching, lack of power, SS, 3B, 1B, OFer and a strong #4 starter. Here's a list of possible targets (guys I would like):

Miguel Tejada- He has played in the Bay Area so fans already know him and he would reunite with Zito. The shortstop position is available though he might have to play third. Tejada has been asking for a trade for a while and isn't happy in Baltimore. Tejada makes $26 million over the next two years left on his contract. The Giants would be getting younger and more production at the postion. His 2007 stats were .296/.357/.442 with 18 HRs and 81 RBI with just 55 SOs. Problem is the O's still want him so we would have to dazzle them.

Edgar Renteria- He's a cheaper alternative as he only makes a possible $20 million over the next two years. That is if we decided to pick up his 2009 option of $11 million. He had a great season and the Braves were shopping him at the trade deadline. Edgar's cheaper than Tejada because he has less power. Renteria hit .332/.390/470 with 12 HRs and 57 RBI. He did have 30 doubles compared to Tejada's 19 which is huge in this ballpark. Renteria would make for a great #2 or 3 hitter.

I will finish this when I have more energy. Feel free to comment at any time.

AAA ERA

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

I read somewhere that if Arod ops out the giants would be the front runner ... you hear anything about this in the bay area?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am personally not in the Bay Area but we have all heard the rumors. I can't see it happening. If Arod opts out, I can't see us even getting Mike Lowell. His price will just go through the roof. I will finish this thread sometime soon, probably tonight.

AAA ERA

I look forward to reading it... where are you at if not the bay area?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I live in western KY. I've been a Giants fan since 93. Feel free to come over and argue anytime. It's kind of hard because I don't say such outlandish things.

AAA ERA

I used to live in Clarksville, TN right on the KY border.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Oh right on. Yeah I'm in Paducah.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trevortime101 View Post
    I read somewhere that if Arod ops out the giants would be the front runner ... you hear anything about this in the bay area?
    I've heard quite a bit about this...there was an article in today's local paper saying that if he does opt out of his contract then the Giants will try as hard as they can to try and get him, especially since Barry will be gone. They really want him badly. It also said that Andruw Jones, Torii Hunter, Aaron Rowand, and Scott Linebrink are also the target guys that the Giants are going for. I only see maybe 2 (rowand, linebrink), if any of those 5, coming out here to cali.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah I can't really see ARod coming here because we have no one to protect him. Much of the same. Plus we have so many holes to fill and investing all our money in just Arod wouldn't be smart. The Phillies would be dumb to get rid of Rowand after the season he and the Phillies have had. Hunter is a reasonable guy who I am going to mention right now.

Torii Hunter: The Giants need to get back to their roots combining power speed and defense behind good pitching. Hunter will fill this void every which way. He hit .287/.334/.505 with 28 HRs and 107 RBI while playing GG defense once again. Hunter also stole 18 bases and hit 45 doubles. Could you imagine this guy in our spacious outfield and the numbers he could put up? He is a great clubhouse guy and a leader. Problems lie in that teams he is familiar with are going to be throwing offers all offseason. Teams like the Rangers and White Sox. Bonds and Hunter are friends and I doubt Bonds is going to throw the Giants a bone. Last problem is the Giants have $68 million already committed the budget will be around $90 million. Trades is where we will probably have to go.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree that Hunter would be a great addition to the Giants. I know that I'd be jealous. He's got great leaderships skills like you said, plus he's the kind of guy who knows how to keep a ballclub loose. Anyways, I just don't really see it happening. Like you said, he's getting offers from teams closer to home, like the Rangers. I think he's more likely to go for a spot out there than he is to totally relocate to the west coast, but thats JMO.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mike Lowell: As you all may know I am tired of watching Pedro Feliz in a Giants uniform. He does possess a good glove but he has no on base ability and hits for low average. Mike Lowell does everything Feliz does and better. Lowell is coming off a great contract year hitting .324/.378/.501 with 21 HRs and 120 RBI. He still plays great defense and was named the MVP of the Red Sox. He also hit a lot of doubles which would be great for AT&T Park. It doesn't really matter if Arod opts out of his deal for Lowell to get big dollars. Lowell is about all there is on the market way ahead of Feliz. Lowell's a perfect #5 hitter and is a lot better than Feliz. Problem is like I said he is the MVP of the Red Sox and they would like to bring him back. He is also 33 years old so we would be getting older at the position. No more than a three year deal could be offered. Basically I just want anyone but Feliz over there. Aurilia too. If the Giants could afford him and some other pieces, he would be a great fit for this team. Defense and a guy who attacks the gaps is what the Giants need to go back to.

Aaron Rowand
    : The Giants need a CFer and I love the way this guy plays the game. Rowand plays all out and is in his prime. He is coming off a career season hitting .309/.374/.515 with 27 HRs and 89 RBI. He also had 45 doubles and plays GG defense. He too would love the spacious OF both defensively and offensively. He will be a cheaper option than most of other free agent CFers like Hunter and Jones. Like Lowell, he would make for a good #5 hitter because of his ability to hit the gaps. Problems arise when everyone needs a GG OFer. Phillies fans love him and he was a huge part of the team winning the NL East title so they might resign. It's either sign Rowand and trade Burrell or keep Burrell and let Rowand walk. Not a hard choice if you ask me. Giants need to focus really hard on this guy. He will get more than the $10/mil per year Matthews Jr. and Pierre got.

MLB ERA

Its a toss up between Hunter and Rowand, they both put up similar numbers, Hunter is only 2 years older than Rowand, which surprised me because I thought Rowand was in his mid-late 20s, but he's 30 and Hunter is 32, so I dont know, the thing that concerns me about Hunter is his avg, like he's very inconsistant year by year, in 01 he hit .261, 03 he hit .250 he's a career .270 hitter, 6 out of the 7 years he has hits 20+ HRs and 90+ RBI. So I dont know, I guess I will be satisfied with either one of these two guys. I'm neutral on this.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Either one will make me happy as long as it isn't Roberts patrolling CF. They both have pop, will murder the gaps and play GG defense. Giants have to get back to their winning ways.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hopefully for you Sabean will be able to work something out...some kind of deal that's beneficial. Like I said though, Hunter just seems much less likely than Rowand would. But we'll see what destiny brings...

Oh yeah, Bochy's coming back for another season with you guys. So is about half of the coaching staff (Righetti, Gardner, Wotus). Hopefully you'll be able to pull out a winning season this time around, now that Bochy is a bit more familiar with the team and all that jazz.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I hope so because Bochy just sucked ass. He stuck with guys like Roberts, Vizquel and Durham too long and never played the hot guys until they went cold. We all love Righetti and Wotus but Gardner is another story. I wouldn't mind Robb Nen taking over in the bullpen.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast