Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan View Post
    I'd argue that Cain was your best pitcher last season, just couldn't buy any run support, or bullpen support for that matter.

I wouldn't move Davis, he's an up and comer, at least he looked that way from what I saw of him last season.
    Cain was great last season but I said over the past three seasons Lowry has been the best meaning overall. I'd move Davis is it got us more offense in a heartbeat. He looked good whih helped his value.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

These are figures I got from ESPN and rotoworld for next season's payroll

1. Barry Zito- 14,500,000
    2. Ray Durham- 7,500,000
    3. Omar Vizquel- 5,300,000
    4. Randy Winn- 8,000,000
    5. Dave Roberts- 6,500,000
    6. Bengie Molina- 6,000,000
    7. Rich Aurilia- 4,500,000
    8. Steve Kline- 1,750,000
    9. Noah Lowry- 2,500,000
    10. Matt Cain- 2,250,000?
    11. Kevin Correia 400,000
    12. Brad Hennessey 400,000
    13. Vinnie Chulk 396,000
    14. Jack Taschner 382,000
    15. Eliezer Alfonzo 382,000
    16. Jonathan Sanchez 381,000
    17. Kevin Frandsen 380,500
    18. Randy Messenger 380,000

Comes to a grand total of approximately $62 mil but some reports show we have $68 mil already committed. Giants have close to $30 mil to address needs and this is without trades.

MLB ERA

The team has 7 open slots on their active roster? Interesting. How many do they have on their 40-man roster?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I also wonder if there are any other minor-leaguers the Twins can take in a 3 for 1 trade?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    The team has 7 open slots on their active roster? Interesting. How many do they have on their 40-man roster?
    These were the only ones I could find salaries for. I'm sure the rest make league minimum. And no more trades with the Twins ever again!!

MLB ERA

After posting that last night, I checked the Giants' website and niticed that they have 40 players (including Bonds) on their roster. That leaves an open spot.
    As to trades between the Twins and Giants, I think the Twins got the better of the last one.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't think, I know!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rotoworld has made some predictions on who exactly we are going to get through free agency.

Tony Clark (Diamondbacks) -
    Ignoring 2006, when he was troubled by a shoulder injury, Clark has 47 homers and 138 RBI in 570 at-bats over the course of his last two healthy seasons. He's not much of an OBP guy and he struggles against left-handed pitching, but his numbers and veteran presence could result in him getting a multiyear deal in this market. The Diamondbacks would like to keep him as Conor Jackson's caddy, but they're not going to match any excessive offers he might receive. At 35, he's now reached the age at which he's a prime candidate to become a Giant.

Prediction: Giants - two years, $6 million

Pedro Feliz (Giants) -
    Feliz settled for a one-year deal last winter, but he doesn't want to do it again. The problem is that nothing has changed for him. He's finished with 20-22 homers and an OPS in the 700-720 range each of the last three years, and while few would guess it, he's turning 33 next April. Feliz is arguably the league's best defensive third baseman. Had he been developed as a shortstop -- he's always had the range for the position -- he'd probably be in the middle of a long-term deal paying him $7 million-$8 million per season right now. Since he's only going to be viewed as a third baseman by other teams, another one-year deal is likely. The Giants will probably keep him unless the Phillies or Twins decide to offer a two- or three-year pact.

Prediction: Giants - one year, $5.1 million

Kosuke Fukudome (Japan) -
    With one-year and multiyear offers on the table from the Chunichi Dragons and his market value possibly weakened following elbow surgery, Fukudome hasn't committed to playing in the U.S. Still, there should be considerable interest in a player who has traditionally been among Japan's very best. The 30-year-old Fukudome hit .294/.443/.520 in 348 at-bats before surgery last season. He finished with an OPS over 1000 three of the previous four years, including a 2006 season in which he hit .351/.438/.653. A left-handed hitter and quality defensive right fielder, he could be a J.D. Drew-type player in the majors. The Cubs appear to have the most interest in him, but the Giants, Rangers, Indians and Mets are among the clubs that could use his bat.

Prediction: Giants - three years, $30 million

Jorge Julio (Rockies) -
    Julio pitched quite well for Colorado after self destructing as a closer in Florida, amassing a 3.93 ERA and a 50/20 K/BB ratio in 52 2/3 innings. However, he was very nearly the goat after allowing two runs without getting an out in the 13th inning of game No. 163 against the Padres. He ended up being left off the postseason roster because of a sore neck. It appears less likely now that the Rockies will ante up to re-sign him. He still might get a two-year deal to pitch in middle relief elsewhere, though that he's viewed as being better in low-pressure situations could keep large-market teams away.

Prediction: Giants - two years, $8 million
    Clark is an interesting choice and could help Ortmeier ease into the role and he doesn't cost much. Ortmeier and Clark could combine for 30-35 homers. Ortmeier has an underrated bat and even Bonds saw something good in his swing. Ortmeier is the only person I saw Bonds work with on his hitting since I've followed him and that's almost 20 years.

**** Feliz!!

Fukudome is another interesting choice. He has good stats in Japan but not sure what he can do in SF. He would probably be in RF with Winn in CF and Roberts in LF. I would rather get someone else with more pop in their bat and simply more of a proven commodity.

Julio isn't making this bullpen any better so hell no to that shit!! The Giants should look into the Cordero/Rauch package from the Nationals. They have been rumored to both be on the block together which would instantly improve this bullpen and give Wilson maybe another year to become closer.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

New Edited Version:

Scott Rolen-3B: Rolen is quite a gamble and hates authority but I would still love to have the best defensive third baseman I've ever seen in orange and black. The Cards have said that Rolen is available since LaRussa has been resigned and those two do not get along. Scott is coming off another shoulder surgery where last season you could tell it was bothering them. he only hit 8 HRs and 58 RBI with a .268 BA in 112 games. In '06, he hit 22 HRs, 95 RBI and .296 BA. I think he could be had for Lowry and Hennessey with them eating some of the $36 mil he is still owed. Hell we could even throw in Durham and eat all Of Rolen's money if they eat Lowry and Durham's. The Cards need help at second. He only has three years left on his contract which is perfect given his age and health. Rolen and Vizquel would make a great defensive left side. Now for the dreams to burst a little, he has a no-trade clause and wants to go to a contender. Giants will have to make some good moves to show they can be a contender before Rolen waives his clause.

Miguel Tejada
    -3B: He has played in the Bay Area so fans already know him and he would reunite with Zito. The shortstop position is available though he might have to play third. Tejada has been asking for a trade for a while and isn't happy in Baltimore. Tejada makes $26 million over the next two years left on his contract. The Giants would be getting younger and more production at the postion. His 2007 stats were .296/.357/.442 with 18 HRs and 81 RBI with just 55 SOs. Problem is the O's still want him so we would have to dazzle them. Yankees were looking but they seem to be close to resigning ARod.

Torii Hunter
    -CF: The Giants need to get back to their roots combining power speed and defense behind good pitching. Hunter will fill this void every which way. He hit .287/.334/.505 with 28 HRs and 107 RBI while playing GG defense once again. Hunter also stole 18 bases and hit 45 doubles. Could you imagine this guy in our spacious outfield and the numbers he could put up? He is a great clubhouse guy and a leader. Problems lie in that teams he is familiar with are going to be throwing offers all offseason. Teams like the Rangers and White Sox. Bonds and Hunter are friends and I doubt Bonds is going to throw the Giants a bone. Last problem is the Giants have $68 million already committed the budget will be around $90 million. Trades are where we will probably have to go. Hunter seems interested playing in front of a large black population which San Fran is not.

Aaron Rowand-CF: The Giants need a CFer and I love the way this guy plays the game. Rowand plays all out and is in his prime. He is coming off a career season hitting .309/.374/.515 with 27 HRs and 89 RBI. He also had 45 doubles and plays GG defense. He too would love the spacious OF both defensively and offensively. He will be a cheaper option than most of other free agent CFers like Hunter and Jones. Like Lowell, he would make for a good #5 hitter because of his ability to hit the gaps. Problems arise when everyone needs a GG OFer. Phillies fans love him and he was a huge part of the team winning the NL East title so they might resign. It's either sign Rowand and trade Burrell or keep Burrell and let Rowand walk. Not a hard choice if you ask me. Giants need to focus really hard on this guy. He will get more than the $10/mil per year Matthews Jr. and Pierre got.

Chris Duncan-1B: This is just speculation on my part basically because of the rocky situation in St. Louis. LaRussa looks to walk with Jocketty gone and if that happens, Dave Duncan is likely to leave too. If so, Duncan would not be too happy and could push for a trade. Plus the Cards don't really need him now with the emergence of Ankiel. He is a first baseman with 20-30 homerun power without a real position in STL. We have some young pitching to possibly lure him away. Duncan is also a lefty which this team needs at first. The Giants have the position he wants and have some pitching that St. Louis might like. Definitely something to look at if Dave Duncan is fired or steps down. I am leaving him in despite LaRussa staying just because he still doesn't have a full time position and the Giants have one for him.

David Riske-RP: He just filed for free agency from the Royals where he had a 2.45 ERA and 52 SO's in 69 IP. He had a disappointing 2006 due to injuries but bounced back for a dreadful Royals team. Riske only made $2 mil and I would be fine with giving him a 2 yr/$7 mil deal with an option for a third year. We need a strong presence in our bullpen and Riske would be cheap and improve this bullpen.

Miguel Cabrera-3B/OF: The Giants should seriously pursue Cabrera to fill either third or first. I want him at first or in the OF but not at third. He is terrible at third and maybe JT Snow could work with him at first. Cabrera will be 25 next season and is good for a 30 HRS, .300 BA and 100+ RBI. Lowry could be used in a package along with any number of guys. This is a very special player who the Giants can build there offense around now while he is cheaper than market value. Cabrera is right handed power hitter which this post Bonds era is going to need. It doesn't look like the Giants have anything to really offer unless Lincecum becomes available.

Jose Guillen-LF/RF: The Mariners turned down Guillen's option making him a free agent. Guillen hit .290/.353/.460 with 23 HRs and 99 RBI in a difficult home field. His career high in HRs is 31 and RBI is 104. He would be a good complimentary player behind power hitter. Guillen would make a great #5 hitter for this club. He also possesses a good arm even after having surgery on it. His mutual option with the M's was worth $9 mil so I think we could have him around $7-8 mil/yr for a 2-3 yr deal.

B.J. Upton-3B/OF: Upton is coming off his first full season and hit .300/.386/.508 with 24 homeruns and 82 RBI. He also had 22 stolen bases. Upton played 78 games in CF and 48 games at second. He has played third before but not that well. He is a guy without a position but is 23, good and available. Downside is he struck out 154 times. The Giants could try him at third or in the OF. This would be a good move for our future and we have plenty of what they are looking for and that's pitching.

Richie Sexson
    -1B: Sexson could be the diamond in the rough. He is coming off a horrible season and makes a lot of money so he won't cost much in a trade. We could possibly dump some salary like Aurilia on them if we take on some more salary. He made $14 mil last season and hit just .205/.295/.399 with 21 homers and just 63 RBI. He is owed $14 mil and is a FA after the 08 season. If he does well he can get him a good 3-4 year deal. I think he has a lot in the tank left and he still has an average of 37 HRs a season. Sexson won't cost a lot in a trade if we take on more salary of we can make a trade where they take on most of the salary. Either way it won't cost us anything of importance and gives us a big presence in this weak lineup. Oh yeah, he's right handed which is a huge plus in this ballpark. The Giants were interested in Sexson last season.

Kerry Wood-RP: Wood is a gamble but he showed promise in the relief role. He had a 3.33 ERA with 24 SO's in 24 IP last season but only appeared in 22 games. Not much of a window to accurately judge a performance but he could impact this Giants bullpen. The bullpen is a key area to improve and Wood wouldn't be that costly. The Giants should offer nothing but a two year deal worth $5 mil. Problem is the Cubs will want to keep him and the Rangers are interested. Wood is a Texas boy so he is more inclined to go there. Giants have some good prospects to fill relief roles but are years away. Wood would be a good stop gap guy and can help sell tickets.

Troy Percival-RP: The only reason I want Troy is because he is cheap and can help Wilson too become a closer. The Giants really don't have anyone to give good solid advice on closing. Plus he didn't have a bad season coming out of retirement last season. He posted a 1.80 ERA and struck out 36 batters in 40 IP. Not too bad for a retired old man. Steve Kline is the only veteran in this bullpen and he doesn't know dick about being a good closer. Percival would also be helping the other young relievers. He is used to the West Coast and Giants fans know him from the '02 WS. I would give him a one year $2 mil offer.

I dropped Lowell from my list because he insists on getting a fourth year and the Giants would be dumb for doing it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The St. Louis Cardinals confirmed that Gold Glove third baseman Scott Rolen would be available in a trade; his defense and right-handed bat would appear to fit the Giants' priorities. But a Giants source said they don't anticipate being active in those talks. Rolen has three years and $36 million remaining on his contract. He also is coming off his third shoulder surgery since 2005, and Giants officials aren't certain that he can re-establish himself as a 30-homer, 100-RBI presence.
    This shoots down my hopes a getting a real third baseman. ****ing Sabean is going to bring back Pedro Feliz

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants GM Brian Sabean was the only general manager who didn't attend the GM meetings earlier this month in Orlando. Instead, he stayed back at the team's spring training complex in Scottsdale, Ariz., to go over personnel with newly hired scouting director John Barr.
    What the **** is going on here?????

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Looks like a great FO you got up there
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You don't have to tell me.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Is Blum the next Padre you guys are going to sign ? Or Marcus Giles ?
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Probably Bradley

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast