Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

We are going to be doing that a little with guys like Frandsen, Lincecum, Cain and Wilson. Problem is we have had three straight losing seasons, our biggest attraction is gone and the Giants need to put a team out there for people to watch. We don't have any minor league options for SS, 3B and 1B so we are going to have to find someone to play.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

fair enough. I understand your point. And it makes a lot of sense as well.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It seems like, from what you've all been saying, that the Giants are in for a tough offseason. They really want that young lineup, but at the same time they also want veterans who know the league well. They want to spend the Bonds money, but the also want to save some. They want pitchers, yet they also want some home-run hitters. I really have no idea what Sabean is going to do (and I bet he doesn't either).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Since LaRussa was hired back it looks like my dream of Duncan will not come true. Lowry for Duncan and a minor leaguer would have been a good deal for us. If Daddy Duncan stays, so does Chris. Too bad the Cards have no place for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

ARod has opted out of his contract sp let the Giants rumors fly. I do not want Arod on this team because no team has won anything with him and Arod+Zito= no money for anyone else.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Renteria has been traded to the Tigers so he can be knocked off my list.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    ARod has opted out of his contract sp let the Giants rumors fly. I do not want Arod on this team because no team has won anything with him and Arod+Zito= no money for anyone else.
    Only way I want Arod here is if he decides to take a pay cut, with he wont so eff that. But I do disagree with your point that no one hasn't anything with him, if your reffering your rings then yes your right, if your reffering winning and making it to the playoffs, I disagree with that.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If we got ARod, we couldn't even get to the playoffs. We would not have enough money to fill the other holes and speaking of holes:

David Riske
    : He just filed for free agency from the Royals where he had a 2.45 ERA and 52 SO's in 69 IP. He had a disappointing 2006 due to injuries but bounced back for a dreadful Royals team. Riske only made $2 mil and I would be fine with giving him a 2 yr/$7 mil deal with an option for a third year. We need a strong presence in our bullpen and Riske would be cheap and improve this bullpen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sources tell ESPN's Peter Gammons that Miguel Cabrera will be available on the trade market this winter.
    With the Yankees and Red Sox both in need of a third baseman and the Dodgers, Angels, Phillies and Giants all willing to consider upgrades, the Marlins may figure this is their best chance for getting maximum value for Cabrera, who is two years away from free agency. The problem is that, with his weight up, Cabrera's defense has gone from mediocre to truly bad, and he'd make more sense as a first baseman right now. Both the Yankees and Red Sox have possibilities there as well, but they might not be willing to surrender as much talent to fill a hole that is easier.
    The Giants should seriously pursue Cabrera to fill either third or first. I want him at first or in the OF but not at third. He is terrible at third and maybe JT Snow could work with him at first. Cabrera will be 25 next season and is good for a 30 HRS, .300 BA and 100+ RBI. Lowry could be used in a package along with any number of guys. This is a very special player who the Giants can build there offense around now while he is cheaper than market value. We would have to do something special to out do the Yankees.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Carney Lansford was named hitting coach. I'd rather have Will Clark or Matt Williams.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jose Guillen: The Mariners turned down Guillen's option making him a free agent. Guillen hit .290/.353/.460 with 23 HRs and 99 RBI in a difficult home field. His career high in HRs is 31 and RBI is 104. He would be a good complimentary player behind power hitter. Guillen would make a great #5 hitter for this club. He also possesses a good arm even after having surgery on it. His mutual option with the M's was worth $9 mil so I think we could have him around $7-8 mil/yr for a 2-3 yr deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

An updated list of possible targets and personal wants of mine:

Miguel Tejada- He has played in the Bay Area so fans already know him and he would reunite with Zito. The shortstop position is available though he might have to play third. Tejada has been asking for a trade for a while and isn't happy in Baltimore. Tejada makes $26 million over the next two years left on his contract. The Giants would be getting younger and more production at the postion. His 2007 stats were .296/.357/.442 with 18 HRs and 81 RBI with just 55 SOs. Problem is the O's still want him so we would have to dazzle them.

Torii Hunter
    : The Giants need to get back to their roots combining power speed and defense behind good pitching. Hunter will fill this void every which way. He hit .287/.334/.505 with 28 HRs and 107 RBI while playing GG defense once again. Hunter also stole 18 bases and hit 45 doubles. Could you imagine this guy in our spacious outfield and the numbers he could put up? He is a great clubhouse guy and a leader. Problems lie in that teams he is familiar with are going to be throwing offers all offseason. Teams like the Rangers and White Sox. Bonds and Hunter are friends and I doubt Bonds is going to throw the Giants a bone. Last problem is the Giants have $68 million already committed the budget will be around $90 million. Trades is where we will probably have to go.

Mike Lowell: As you all may know I am tired of watching Pedro Feliz in a Giants uniform. He does possess a good glove but he has no on base ability and hits for low average. Mike Lowell does everything Feliz does and better. Lowell is coming off a great contract year hitting .324/.378/.501 with 21 HRs and 120 RBI. He still plays great defense and was named the MVP of the Red Sox. He also hit a lot of doubles which would be great for AT&T Park. It doesn't really matter if Arod opts out of his deal for Lowell to get big dollars. Lowell is about all there is on the market way ahead of Feliz. Lowell's a perfect #5 hitter and is a lot better than Feliz. Problem is like I said he is the MVP of the Red Sox and they would like to bring him back. He is also 33 years old so we would be getting older at the position. No more than a three year deal could be offered. Basically I just want anyone but Feliz over there. Aurilia too. If the Giants could afford him and some other pieces, he would be a great fit for this team. Defense and a guy who attacks the gaps is what the Giants need to go back to.

Aaron Rowand: The Giants need a CFer and I love the way this guy plays the game. Rowand plays all out and is in his prime. He is coming off a career season hitting .309/.374/.515 with 27 HRs and 89 RBI. He also had 45 doubles and plays GG defense. He too would love the spacious OF both defensively and offensively. He will be a cheaper option than most of other free agent CFers like Hunter and Jones. Like Lowell, he would make for a good #5 hitter because of his ability to hit the gaps. Problems arise when everyone needs a GG OFer. Phillies fans love him and he was a huge part of the team winning the NL East title so they might resign. It's either sign Rowand and trade Burrell or keep Burrell and let Rowand walk. Not a hard choice if you ask me. Giants need to focus really hard on this guy. He will get more than the $10/mil per year Matthews Jr. and Pierre got.

Chris Duncan: This is just speculation on my part basically because of the rocky situation in St. Louis. LaRussa looks to walk with Jocketty gone and if that happens, Dave Duncan is likely to leave too. If so, Duncan would not be too happy and could push for a trade. Plus the Cards don't really need him now with the emergence of Ankiel. He is a first baseman with 20-30 homerun power without a real position in STL. We have some young pitching to possibly lure him away. Duncan is also a lefty which this team needs at first. The Giants have the position he wants and have some pitching that St. Louis might like. Definitely something to look at if Dave Duncan is fired or steps down. I am leaving him in despite LaRussa staying just because he still doesn't have a full time position and the Giants have one for him.

David Riske: He just filed for free agency from the Royals where he had a 2.45 ERA and 52 SO's in 69 IP. He had a disappointing 2006 due to injuries but bounced back for a dreadful Royals team. Riske only made $2 mil and I would be fine with giving him a 2 yr/$7 mil deal with an option for a third year. We need a strong presence in our bullpen and Riske would be cheap and improve this bullpen.

Miguel Cabrera: The Giants should seriously pursue Cabrera to fill either third or first. I want him at first or in the OF but not at third. He is terrible at third and maybe JT Snow could work with him at first. Cabrera will be 25 next season and is good for a 30 HRS, .300 BA and 100+ RBI. Lowry could be used in a package along with any number of guys. This is a very special player who the Giants can build there offense around now while he is cheaper than market value. Cabrera is right handed power hitter which this post Bonds era is going to need. We would have to do something special to out do the Yankees which is the down side.

Jose Guillen: The Mariners turned down Guillen's option making him a free agent. Guillen hit .290/.353/.460 with 23 HRs and 99 RBI in a difficult home field. His career high in HRs is 31 and RBI is 104. He would be a good complimentary player behind power hitter. Guillen would make a great #5 hitter for this club. He also possesses a good arm even after having surgery on it. His mutual option with the M's was worth $9 mil so I think we could have him around $7-8 mil/yr for a 2-3 yr deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants and Omar Vizquel are close to a one-year deal worth a reported $5.5 million.
    Incredible. He's coming off his worst year ever and he's going to get a raise. Vizquel hit a putrid .246/.305/.316 in 2007, and even the Gold Glove voters have noticed that he's slipping on defense. Vizquel made $4 million last season in the final year of his three-year, $12.25 million contract.
    God ****ing Damnit!!! How in the **** is this possible? How does one get a raise for being shit? I didn't mind him coming back for a year but was hoping for an upgrade but to sign him at this price is just bad business. We had no one in the farm to take his place but we could have had him for cheaper than $5.5 mil!! Only thing I like is his pitching. Bochy better not bat him in the top six!! So far this offseason, so bad! Feliz, come on down

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well that automatically puts a few guys outta the question. It's obvious now that if you've gonna have A-Rod, then Feliz is gonna go, like I think you said. That is, if you're able to get him.

In other news, I read on the Giants website that they might actually consider shopping out either Lincecum or Cain (or even both) for a big bat (like A-Rod). There's still a lot of controversy around it, but I heard it again on today's Giants radio broad/podcast and they said that Sabean was still considering using them as bait for a bit just to see what they would be able to get. Whaddya fans think about that?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I have heard and read about this too and Lincecum is only on the market for guys like Miguel Cabrera and Johan Santana, elite players. ARod is a FA so a trade for him is not plausible. I don't want ARod and hope Sabean is smart enough not to get him. Scott Rolen has been rumored to be on the market since LaRussa has been extended. Rolen is willing to waive his no trade claus. His value should be down because of his health and salary.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast