Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

Chris Duncan: This is just speculation on my part basically because of the rocky situation in St. Louis. LaRussa looks to walk with Jocketty gone and if that happens, Dave Duncan is likely to leave too. If so, Duncan would not be too happy and could push for a trade. Plus the Cards don't really need him now with the emergence of Ankiel. He is a first baseman with 20-30 homerun power without a real position in STL. We have some young pitching to possibly lure him away. Duncan is also a lefty which this team needs at first. The Giants have the position he wants and have some pitching that St. Louis might like. Definitely something to look at if Dave Duncan is fired or steps down.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Chris Duncan, eh? I suppose it might happen...like you said he's not exactly needed as much in STL since Ankiel came along, and the Giants could really use him. Klesko and Aurillia just don't cut it. So it's a possibility, for now.

What I want to know from a Giants follower is who do you think will be the closer? Hennesey did a good job, but I think he's better as more of a 7-8 inning type guy. And I don't think the Giants will want to try and buy another closer, seeing what happened to Benitez *cough cough*. And there just aren't that many good closer on the market anyways. Maybe they'll use an existing guy or maybe they'll have someone come up out of the minors...but what do you think?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

Yeah, Rowand and Hunter would definitely be an upgrade.

San Francisco and Pittsburgh are two of my favorite teams outside of Milwaukee. I love Pittsburgh and their teams. I became a Giants fan when Will "The Thrill" Clark played in the bay area, and I also liked Kevin Mitchell and Matt Williams.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Brian Wilson has the closer's job to lose this spring. The Giants lead the league in bullpen losses and blown saves. Hennessey was a big part of that. You're right in thinking Hennessey is a long reliever type. I know we need every arm we can get but he might be trade bait as part of a package.

Duncan is just a thought I had and probably won't be on the market but I explained how he might. If so, the Giants should jump all over it because he is cheap, young and has left handed power. The Cards also have a stud other than Ankiel to play the OF but forgot his name.

In other news, Lowry will be shopped this offseason. I have mixed feeling as he has been our best pitcher the past three seasons. He's not going to strike a lot of people out but does everything else right.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Free-agent-to-be Matt Herges indicated that he'd be very open to returning to the Giants as a free agent.
    This has bad two-year deal written all over it. Herges, who pitched for the Giants from mid-2003 through mid-2005, when he was designated for assignment, has finished with ERAs of 5.23, 7.14, 4.31 and 2.96 the last four years. The 2006 mark is hardly terrible, but it came with a 1.72 WHIP
    No and hell no. We need real arms in the bullpen and need to get away from signing former ball players. If they didnt work the first time, why would they work now?

MLB ERA

I will be pissed if they trade Lowry, he's our best pitcher, and Giants would be ****ing stupid if they trade him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It really depends on what we get back in return as far as Lowry goes. In this market of free agent pitchers, Lowry could be in high demand.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

If I was the Giants GM, there is no way in this world I would trade any of your young pitchers. They have nothing but an upside. Does anyone remember a group of young pitchers in the late 80's early 90's by the name of (Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery).

Use the money you are saving by not re-signing Binds and get some bats or bullpen help that way.

MLB ERA

I dont know man, I would love to watch our 3 young guns pitch, Lowry, Lincecum, and Cain, I mean I know we need some position players, but still though. I guess I'm still pissed off at the trades for Sidney Ponson and AJ Pierzynski deals.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    If I was the Giants GM, there is no way in this world I would trade any of your young pitchers. They have nothing but an upside. Does anyone remember a group of young pitchers in the late 80's early 90's by the name of (Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery).

Use the money you are saving by not re-signing Binds and get some bats or bullpen help that way.
    Thats exactly what I'm saying, now imagine if we didn't trade for AJ, we could have still had Liriano and Nathan.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

that is true. but Liriano could be hurt for your Giants too.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lowry might be the only way we get a real bat in this lineup. I would love to watch Cain, Lowry, Zito and Lincecum tear it up too but winning games is what matters and without an offense, we aren't going to win. Just ask Matt Cain.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Again, without having Barry Bonds Salary to ante up this year, that is 16 Million you can put towards another bat or dare I say 2?

I would be very hesitant to trade away pitching, the Giants would just be asking for trouble.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

We have some money freed up but we need a lot more than one or two bats. Plus we are going to be competing with a lot of teams for this CFer class. We need help at 1B, SS, 3B, CF and more importantly bullpen help.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

understand that theory, but maybe the Giants should just take another season now that the Bonds circus is over and allow the younsters to play next year and play for 2009 or 2010. Just an idea. Bank some money up and put the pieces together a little at a time. Seems to be the direction many teams are taking these days.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast