Thread: Bonds Done In SF

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bonds Done In SF

The Giants have told Barry Bonds they won't attempt to re-sign him for 2008.
    The team has called a press conference, apparently to announce the decision, but Barry beat them to the punch by announcing the news on his website. "During the conversation with Peter McGowan I was told that my play this year far exceeded any expectations the Giants had, but that the organization decided this year would be my last season in San Francisco," Bonds wrote. "Although I am disappointed, I've always said baseball is a business -- and I respect their decision. However, I am saddened and upset that I was not given an earlier opportunity to properly say goodbye to you, my fans, and celebrate with the city throughout the season as I truly believe this was not a last minute decision by the Giants, but one that was made some time ago." Bonds still apparently intends to play next year. It will probably happen with an AL team, perhaps the A's or Angels.
    What can I say but an end to an era is always sad to see. I do think this is the right decision but it's never to see an all-time great leave town. Bonds single handedly saved the Giants allowing them to stay in San Francisco. The Giants were extremely close to moving to Florida until Macgawon bought the team and purchased then a two time MVP. Bonds went on to win five more which sets a record for seven MVP's. Bonds has given us his best moments in a Giants uniform. From #71 in 2001 to his great WS perfomance in 2002 to becoming the all-time homerun leader with #756. The Giants haven't been good since 2003 and the time is now to go in a new direction. Bonds knew this and has reacted like a professional should. The Giants will now have money this offseason to go out and get some good and hopefully young players. The market looks weak for what we need (relievers, 3B, LF, 1B) but with this money maybe we can get someone in a trade like a Tejeda. Bonds cannot be replaced so every Giants fan needs to keep that in mind. Best wishes to Bonds on whatever he plans to do. I am sure we are not done seeing him and I will continue to root for him where ever he goes.

MLB ERA

Re: Bonds Done In SF

This will be the equivalent of Steve Young retiring, Jerry Rice leaving the Niners, now Bonds wont be back definetly saddens me, but I do realize why they made this move and I sure as hell he goes to a contender and wins a ring where Dusty Baker ****ed it up for him game 6 of the 02 WS. And yes Bonds has had greatest moments in Baseball history in SF, number 73 in 01, 4 WS HR in 02, 218 BB in 04, 756 this year, Barry Bonds will definetly be missed, I really hope whereever he goes those fans embrace Bonds for what he has accomplished in his baseball career, arguably the greatest baseball player ever. Barry thanks for the memories.