Thread: We need to promote Messenger

MLB ERA

We need to promote Messenger

to be our closer, I'm not trying to be bias here since I went to HS with him, but he has good stuff, closer like stuff, mid to upper 90s fastball, a good curve ball, and he's been solid for us, I believe he has allowed only 3 er since he has joined the Giants.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: We need to promote Messenger

I think we should use him more often but we need a real answer for closer. Messenger walks too many people to be closer. He would be like having another Benitez or Hennessey. Trading for Gagne would be a good idea.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I guess Gagne would be a good idea, taken that all "available" closers are escaping my mind right now...if a trade like that did come along, who would the Giants give up? I'd say another reliever, but what's your take?

Turn 2

I really don't think the Giants will go after another older player in Gagne. I think they are going to try and shed those type of players in the near future. I know he is only 31, but he has had so many recent injuries it would not be a good fit for a team that is going to be rebuilding. Brad Hennessey hasn't really worked out too well , so I look for Messenger to start getting a good luck come after the All Star break.

MLB ERA

Messenger use to walk allot of batters when he first came up, in 05 he walked 30 in 37 IP, in 06 he walked 24 batters in 60 1/3 IP, this year so far he has walked 13 in 38 1/3 IP, his controll has gotten better.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    I guess Gagne would be a good idea, taken that all "available" closers are escaping my mind right now...if a trade like that did come along, who would the Giants give up? I'd say another reliever, but what's your take?
    It wouldn't take much to get Gagne given his past with injuries. Feliz is available But we could give Correia and some AA guy.

As for not wanting to sign an older player like Gagne, we wouldn't be looking long term for Gagne. Gagne could stay until one of our younger guys steps up and takes the pill. No more than a couple of seasons.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    It wouldn't take much to get Gagne given his past with injuries. Feliz is available But we could give Correia and some AA guy.

As for not wanting to sign an older player like Gagne, we wouldn't be looking long term for Gagne. Gagne could stay until one of our younger guys steps up and takes the pill. No more than a couple of seasons.
    That's what I was expecting. I read an article in the paper today saying that possibly the entire Giants' starting lineup could be available, given the Giants could find teams for those players. The Rangers might be willing to give up Gangne, especially since players like Hank Blalock and Mark Texeria could go soon.