Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

Posted: Sunday June 24, 2007 08:41AM ET

There was a moment yesterday when A-Rod's mug dominated the ballpark like a 50-foot underwear ad hanging over Times Square, the AT&T scoreboard and scattered TVs flashing his image so often, someone had to be sending a subliminal message. Giants fans could barely stand the tease. If their desire to see A-Rod relocate to the Bay Area hasn't quite reached the obsession stage, it's only because he can't play quarterback for the 49ers.

MLB ERA

Re: Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

I hope the Giants sign A-Rod, I really do.

Seeing a division rival invest half their payroll in two players is always a nice thing.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

I do however see this scenario as a realistic possibility based on 2 things, 1 if we dont resign Vizquel or trade him, and 2 if A-rod opts out of his deal at the end of this year.

But those are 2 big IFs.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I hope the Giants sign A-Rod, I really do.

Seeing a division rival invest half their payroll in two players is always a nice thing.
    Call it whatever you want, if we can spend the money then we can, maybe your front office could learn a few things when it comes to spending money.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

Sorry, I just can't see A-Rod plaing in SF. I wouldn't mind it. Just don't think it is his kind of stadium, a pitcher's park! If he batted left-handed, then maybe.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    Call it whatever you want, if we can spend the money then we can, maybe your front office could learn a few things when it comes to spending money.
    My team's front office prefers to spread the payroll around to build a team, rather than put it all into two players.

I'm not saying your team would....but if they're willing to sign A-Rod that's what they'd be doing.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Sorry, I just can't see A-Rod plaing in SF. I wouldn't mind it. Just don't think it is his kind of stadium, a pitcher's park! If he batted left-handed, then maybe.
    Actually bro, you got it totally opposite, in At&t park its hard for Lefties to hit HRs, it favors more too righties, but Arod does have tremendous opposite field power.

MLB ERA

My team's front office prefers to spread the payroll around to build a team, rather than put it all into two players.

I'm not saying your team would....but if they're willing to sign A-Rod that's what they'd be doing.
    What makes you think if sign Arod, we wont have enough money to sign other players?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

ah, my bad. I always thought it was the other way around. Still considered to be a pitcher's park though.

MLB ERA

What makes you think if sign Arod, we wont have enough money to sign other players?
    18 mil per year to Zito, 20 mil per year to A-Rod (at least)

Not saying you won't have enough to sign just anyone, but there wouldn't be much left to play with.

MLB ERA

18 mil per year to Zito, 20 mil per year to A-Rod (at least)

Not saying you won't have enough to sign just anyone, but there wouldn't be much left to play with.
    Yankees and Redsox spend that much on several players, there doing fine for now, I dont think there will be a problem, because after Bonds retires after this year or next, we will have enough money to sign other players.

MLB ERA

Yankees and Redsox spend that much on several players, there doing fine for now, I dont think there will be a problem, because after Bonds retires after this year or next, we will have enough money to sign other players.
    The Yankees and Red Sox can afford to spend that much on payroll.

The Padres and Giants can not. (Although the Giants can afford to spend a bit more than the Padres.)

Money doesn't grow on trees, you have to make it to be able to spend it.

If it were as easy as your post here suggests every team would have 200 million dollar payrolls.

MLB ERA

The Yankees and Red Sox can afford to spend that much on payroll.

The Padres and Giants can not. (Although the Giants can afford to spend a bit more than the Padres.)

Money doesn't grow on trees, you have to make it to be able to spend it.

If it were as easy as your post here suggests every team would have 200 million dollar payrolls.
    If the Yankees and Red Sox can, what makes you think the Giants and Padres cant? Both got new stadiums that generate great revenue(Atleast from the Giants stadium I know), So I'm sure if they wanted to spend more money on players they would.

MLB ERA

If the Yankees and Red Sox can, what makes you think the Giants and Padres cant? Both got new stadiums that generate great revenue(Atleast from the Giants stadium I know), So I'm sure if they wanted to spend more money on players they would.
    The money the fans bring in is a tiny fraction as compared to the money media deals bring in.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I do know that the vast majority of income comes from media deals such as the YES network and what-not, and product sales to as many fans as they can get to purchase their paraphernalia. I also know that ticket prices are minuscule as compared to this.

San Diego is blocked by LA, Arizona, Mexico, and the Pacific Ocean. There's no way the Padres can market their product outside of the city of San Diego itself, short of Imperial county.

In the meantime, the Yankees are marketed nation wide because "everyone loves the Yankees", marketed in the country's biggest city, marketed in Japan, marketed all over the world.

The Red Sox are popular all over the country as well. But even they can't afford to spend like the Yankees, so they have to "settle" for only spending around 120 mil, because they have all of New England cheering for them, as well as half the country.

The bottom line is, PetCo could sell out 81 times a year and the Padres still wouldn't be able to spend as much as the Yankees.

The same can be said for the Giants and Pac Bell, AT&T, Candlestick or whatever they're calling their stadium this year.

MLB ERA

The money the fans bring in is a tiny fraction as compared to the money media deals bring in.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I do know that the vast majority of income comes from media deals such as the YES network and what-not, and product sales to as many fans as they can get to purchase their paraphernalia. I also know that ticket prices are minuscule as compared to this.

San Diego is blocked by LA, Arizona, Mexico, and the Pacific Ocean. There's no way the Padres can market their product outside of the city of San Diego itself, short of Imperial county.

In the meantime, the Yankees are marketed nation wide because "everyone loves the Yankees", marketed in the country's biggest city, marketed in Japan, marketed all over the world.

The Red Sox are popular all over the country as well. But even they can't afford to spend like the Yankees, so they have to "settle" for only spending around 120 mil, because they have all of New England cheering for them, as well as half the country.

The bottom line is, PetCo could sell out 81 times a year and the Padres still wouldn't be able to spend as much as the Yankees.

The same can be said for the Giants and Pac Bell, AT&T, Candlestick or whatever they're calling their stadium this year.
    Oh gotch ya, that makes sense actually, I wonder if the Giants popular in other parts of the countries since there one of the oldest franchises in baseball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast