Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

MLB ERA

Re: Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    Oh gotch ya, that makes sense actually, I wonder if the Giants popular in other parts of the countries since there one of the oldest franchises in baseball.
    This is why baseball needs more revenue sharing and/or a salary cap.

There's a reason the Chargers can realistically expect to spend money on "big name" free agents (although they smartly focus on their own these days) and the Padres can not.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

First off, to hell with a salary cap! Doesn't matter. I would like to see Arod in a Giants uniform but that is too much money into one of the many holes the Giants face this offseason. He is going to demand close to $30 mill/yr after this monster season. Plus every team knows if they sign him long enough he will break any homerun record Bonds sets. Giants have SS to offer Arod and it is a very laid back place to play in which will be a bonus. Problem is we would still have a shitty team. It all depends on what happens at the trade deadline and if Arod does in fact opt out of his deal.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

and your firesale is coming soon
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I hope so!

Turn 2

I don't see this happening do you think the Giants market could afford the salary of Both Barry Zito and A-rod. I don't know about that.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

We would have to go young and cheap but it could happen. Anything is possible. We did get Zito and Bonds on the same team at these ridiculous prices. Vizquel, Benitez and Feliz will be off the books and could possibly be trade bait if we continue to fall as could Durham and Morris. We would still have Winn, Molina, Roberts, Aurilia and all of our starters under contract. It would be about the only guy to fill Bonds' shoes and revenue would go up. I would rather use that money wisely and fill our holes at first, third, SS bullpen and LF/CF.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pretty interesting take on getting Arod. Arod would generate a lot more money and get rid of the steroid cloud in the Bay.

Sports - On Baseball: If A-Rod leaves Yankees, Giants would be ideal fit - sacbee.com

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

As more shit has come to light surrounding Arod's most likely departure from NY after this season, I have been doing some thinking. It would be the same shit, different season. ARod would receive the Barry Bonds treatment that prevented him from having 80 homerun seasons.Why would anyone pitch to this guy on this team? The only reason teams are pitching to Bonds is because rarely is someone on base and the fact that he is 42 yrs old. Even though the Giants have money already set back for '08 FA budget, ARod will demand $25mil+ and will have no one to back him up. Arod could possibly break Bonds' record for walks in a season if he came here with no protection. And on top of all this, we don't even know who our GM is going to be. Sabean is most likely out as GM since most fans are tired of him and he is tired of being held down by Bonds and owners. Lots of names out there around the deadline and this offseason.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Giants' subliminal A-Rod message?

I agree with you reefer!!! Pitch around A-Rod, most logical play!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12