Thread: Things need to change

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Things need to change

Brian Sabean already did one thing to right this ship and that was trade Benitez and his bad attitude to the Marlins for Messenger. He still has some work to do to try and get us a real closer but in the meantime it is Bochy that needs to do a better job. Klesko has to get more at bats. I know he has been hurt the past week but he is far and away a better option right now than Feliz and Aurilia. Right now, Klesko is hitting .311 with 2 homeruns and 16 RBI in 107 ABs. He also has an OPS of .860. Feliz is hitting .257 with 7 HRs, 28 RBI and an OPS of .729. Aurilia is hitting .233 with 2 HRs, 19 RBI and a lousy .625 OPS. With steady play, Klesko's power numbers will go up. Aurilia is simply not getting things done while Klesko is. Frandsen should also be getting more ABs as his defense and bat has been doing good this season.

Barry Bonds, Omar Vizquel and Dave Roberts have to start doing better. Roberts was hitting like crap before he had surgery on his elbow to remove bone spurs. He says the spurs were affecting his swing so let's hope that's the case. An OBP of .283 out of the leadoff spot was killing us. Vizquel is hitting .232 and he too has an OBP of .283. His defense has been stellar of course but we need him to start hitting and getting on base. I don't expect him to hit in the top three when Roberts comes back. Bonds has been in a month long slump as his average has dropped to a current .270 BA. He hit a mere .194 for the month of May. Bonds is the engine and without him this team just doesn't move. These three guys have to get it going for the Giant to have a chance.

The pitching has been great. OK, the starting pitching has been great as we are 4th in the league in ERA. The bullpen is 9th in the league in ERA and that's where the changes have to be made. Ortiz has been scary but effective. Our lefies have been downright scary. Every lefty has an ERA over 5.50. Patrick Misch needs to be brought up from AAA since he has a 2.52 ERA with 41 K's in 39 IP. We have to have at least one effective lefty.

Bochy has his work cut out for him as Sabean has to do his best to better this team not only for this year but for years to come.

MLB ERA

Re: Things need to change

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    it is Bochy that needs to do a better job. Klesko has to get more at bats.

(I agree with you, it's just funny reading that statement as a Padres fan.)
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Trust me, it makes me a little sick to say it but Mr. Warning Track Power has been hitting better than both Aurilia and Feliz. And one more thing I forgot to mention is that Mark Sweeney needs to be released or traded.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Two weeks after I posted this things have not changed a bit, not like the Giants are reading this but I thought it would be common sense. Klesko will now be in the starting lineup but only because Aurilia went on the DL with neck pains. More like a pain in my neck! Bonds has started to hit and has his average back around .290 and hitting more consistently. Vizquel and Roberts are both hitting under .225!!! That is pathetic for players to be hitting that low this far into the season. These two also have piss poor OBP's!

Mark Sweeney still has a job with the Giants which is just unbelievable and represents this poor management of this team from Sabean down to Bochy. Bochy has not done a good job with this lineup one bit. He played Sweeney over Klesko against a right hander in Boston. There is no excuse for that!! Klesko is hitting right around .300 while Sweeney is hitting .170. Trade or release him now! No use in waiting for him to come around because he won't and no use in playing him over guys like Ortmeier and Schierholtz. Why is Bochy keeping Roberts at leadoff with a .222 average and a .305 OBP. Randy Winn was on fire hitting leadoff but then moved him and it hasn't been working that well ever since. Moving Molina to 5th in the order is the only smart thing he has done thus far. It should go Winn, Roberts, Klesko, Bonds, Molina, Durham, Feliz, Vizquel. The Giants should start shopping Feliz and seeing just what they can get for him. Frandsen and Aurilia could share time over there with Klesko getting most of the PT at first.

Sabean and Bochy have got to start doing a better job. Sabean needs to clean house, make some serious changes and try to better this club while Bochy needs to play the best out there in the right spots.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post

(I agree with you, it's just funny reading that statement as a Padres fan.)
    I thought I would never hear someone affiliate Klesko with more at-bats.