Thread: Bye Bye Benitez

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bye Bye Benitez

The Giants and Marlins are close to finalizing an Armando Benitez deal, the San Francsico Chronicle reports.
    It is expected to be announced after both teams finish play tonight. It's unknown what the Giants are getting in return, but they're eager enough to be rid of him that they're probably settling for a relative unknown. Even just a week ago, he had a lot more trade value than he does now. The Marlins will likely plus Benitez into the closer's role after getting him, as it makes no sense to acquire him and then use him as a setup man. The Giants will go to Brad Hennessey until someone better comes along.
    Hennessey is no better but does have 2 saves this year. Maybe Pat Misch will be called up since he has been doing a great job in AAA as a reliever. He has a 2.35 ERA with 39 K's on 38 IP and he's a lefty. I'll have more to say when the details are in.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Bye Bye Benitez

Reports say Randy Messenger is who the Marlins will ship to San Fran. Messenger is 1-1 with a 2.66 ERA. He's not a strikeout kind of guy but is getting the job done this year plus he's only 25. I now wonder about the money involved.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants will get Randy Messenger from the Marlins in return for Armando Benitez, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
    We like this better for Florida than the idea of giving up a quality prospect. The 25-year-old Messenger has a 2.66 ERA this season, but he's allowed 27 hits, walked nine and struck out 12 in 23 2/3 innings. In his career, he has a 4.98 ERA and a 1.52 WHIP in 121 innings.
    Hopefully going to one pitcher's park to another will benefit Messenger.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Marlins will be on the hook for just $333,333 of Armando Benitez's salary after acquiring him from the Giants on Thursday.
    The Giants will pick up the remainder of the $5,076,666 he was due. That means they will have paid him about $21.17 million for 45 saves over the last three three years.
    I'm pissed that they didn't take on more salary but no we have one less haedache. Actually that's not true since we still don't have a closer.

MLB ERA

Randy Messenger? LOL are you serious?! Thats ****ing awsome! I went to HS with Messenger, the guy threw 95+ in HS, he was a Senior when I was a Freshmen!