Thread: Bonds also got death threats

MLB ERA

Bonds also got death threats

In a candid interview with KGO Radio in San Francisco, Barry Bonds on Tuesday said he receives death threats and just tries to keep a level head as he attempts to break Hank Aaron's all-time record of 755 home runs.

Bonds' Pursuit Of Aaron

• In a candid, at-length interview with KGO Radio's Ray Taliaferro, Barry Bonds says he receives death threats and talks about the impact this has had on him mentally and emotionally at a time when he's preparing to break one of baseball's most hallowed records. Listen • Appearing on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Morning, Lance Williams, co-author of Game of Shadows, addressed the latest chapter of his book, how he, like Bonds, has received death threats but doesn't take them seriously, and whether or not Bonds will eventually will get indicted. Listen

Bonds didn't elaborate on the nature of the death threats in the approximately 90-minute interview.
    Asked again Wednesday about the death threats, Bonds again declined to elaborate.
    "We're not going anywhere with that," Bonds said while walking off the field following Wednesday's workout at Scottsdale Stadium.
    Bonds told KGO that he's sorry if he appears standoffish, but he's just trying to be careful because of the threats that are circulating within his camp.
    "There's a lot of times I want to say I'm sorry to some of the fans. You're only strong to a point and then you get nervous," Bonds told KGO. "I'm kind of standoffish and stuff and you can't really explain that."
    "I'm mostly gun-shy of what can happen. Once this is all over and done, whether I get lucky enough to do it or not, I'll be able to release just a little bit of the anxiety and fear of what can happen.
    "You don't want anything to happen to yourself. You don't want anything to happen to your family," Bonds told KGO.
    Bonds said he tries to tune out criticism and handle himself in the right way, so that he makes it easier for the player who eventually will challenge his record if he surpasses Aaron's mark.

"You don't want anything to happen to yourself. You don't want anything to happen to your family." -- Barry Bonds

"If I don't keep a level head, how's the next person going to handle it? If Hank didn't keep his head clear, how was I going to deal with it?" Bonds told KGO.
    "If someone doesn't deal with it the right way, it sets up a very bad ending for anybody else who comes along and tries to do this."
    When asked if he's bothered by racial overtones associated with his pursuit of Aaron's record, Bonds said it's out of his hands.
    "I never get mad at things I can't control. There's nothing you can do about it anyway. You've got less than 8 percent of African Americans in the game of baseball. That's scary," Bonds told KGO.
    However, the slugger said he is thankful to be playing in San Francisco and to have Giants fans behind him. He opened the interview with a salute to his supportive fans and called Giants fans "the most forgiving fans on the planet."
    "San Francisco is a great city," Bonds told KGO. "I try to tell the new players that you'll never play in a better city."
    Bonds has been closely guarded by a Major League Baseball security official throughout spring training for the second straight year. The seven-time NL MVP is scheduled to play his first exhibition game Friday in Scottsdale against the Milwaukee Brewers.
    "It's always a concern it's happening," manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's certainly unfortunate that you have to deal with something like that. There's always going to be some concern. We have protection."
    Aaron himself, who like Bonds is black, dealt with death threats and hate mail as he approached Babe Ruth's then-record of 714 homers. Aaron passed Ruth on April 8, 1974.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=2782635

MLB ERA
    That's pretty ****ed up, all opinions on him aside.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    It is messed up but not surprising none the less.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    As much as I dislike Bonds, this is completely ridiculous and uncalled for...it shouldn't be happening to anyone of any nature at all. I hate to see anyone get this type of treatment and I hope these stop immediately.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    It is f'ed up... but let us watchg and see how long until the media starts playing the race card in with this....

We all know this has nothing to do with the color of his skin or his ethnicity.... but in how he is hated by so many baseball fans, both casual and die-hard
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He has had security since 2002 and it will be beefed up this year for sure. Nobody deserves to die except Paris Hilton and that's ecen pushing it